Leaking Valve Cover after oil change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed my oil this weekend and now I have a leak at the valve cover edges. I know this sounds like a newb question but I'm going to ask it anyways. Per the FSM I put in 7.8 qts of oil, did I over fill the engine, am I reading the FSM wrong?

appreciate any feedback

Since new, I've ALWAYS just tossed 8 quarts in. You might give each of the valve cover bolts a gentle tweak to see if it will stop. Others have done this successfully. Be mindful of the FSM torque setting, though..

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Since new, I've ALWAYS just tossed 8 quarts in. You might give each of the valve cover bolts a gentle tweak to see if it will stop. Others have done this successfully. Be mindful of the FSM torque setting, though..

DougM

Thanks Doug, appreciate the help.

I recently replaced my leaky VC gasket on my "96. At 92K miles the gasket was extremely hard and brittle and cracked in more than a few places upon removal. The job wasn't that bad and the parts were relatively cheap. Now it's as dry as a preacher on Sunday.

If you have a high milage engine and have been using regular dino oil, the seals/gaskets probably have a "protective" layer of old gunk and sludge that actually prevents leaks. If you just switched to synthetic oil, the additional detergency plus the better flowing properties of the oil will remove some of the gunk and expose the seal/gasket, thus leading to leaks. Sometimes if the seal is dry and the oil contains seal conditioners the synthetic oil will lubricate it and the leak will be stop, sometimes not.

That is about the same time mine started to leak. Just changed the valve cover and spark plug gasketts, the spark plug ones were very brittle and had to be chiseled out very carefully no more leaks. Keep in mind that my change was done at about 155K.

Andy

Also the spark plug gaskett goes in a certain direction small difference from the top and bottom.

Just change the cover seal. It can be a little tricky to reinstall the cover unless you do this:

Clean the groove in the cover VERY well, so it is squeeky clean. I like a fine Scotchbriite pad and lacquer thinner for this.

Put a _little_ dab of high temp silicone sealant every 6 inches or so down into the groove.

Lay in the new seal and carefully invert the cover over a clean flat surface, like a piece of cardboard on top of a workbench. Make sure the seal is still in place and put a few big sockets or other weighty objects along the top of the cover to compress the seal slightly.

Let it sit overnight, and now you can install the cover without fear of the seal becoming dislodged.

BTW, now would be a really good time to check the valve clearances and clean the throttle body. Be sure to replace the TB gasket. The PCV valve grommet is probably toast by now, so replace that and the PCV valve, and the hoses if they are hard. And since you are doing the valves, go ahead and replace the spark plugs and wires. Since you are doing the wires, you might as well replace the cap and rotor, and check the timing......

Hmm... is that a coolant drip I see under the left side of the block?

Isn't Cruiser maintenance fun?

John Davies

Did you spill any oil? If so maybe you didn't get all of it wiped up.

I also suggest checking the tightness of your vavle cover bolts. I had a little leak and found out that 6 of the valve cover bolts were almost completely falling out. I tightened them down and haven't had a problem since.

Good tip about the gasket john. I will do that when i replace mine very soon.

cruiserdan said:
Did you spill any oil? If so maybe you didn't get all of it wiped up.

I did spill a little oil but clean everything up with an engine degreaser.

John E Davies said:
Just change the cover seal. It can be a little tricky to reinstall the cover unless you do this:

Clean the groove in the cover VERY well, so it is squeeky clean. I like a fine Scotchbriite pad and lacquer thinner for this.

Put a _little_ dab of high temp silicone sealant every 6 inches or so down into the groove.

Lay in the new seal and carefully invert the cover over a clean flat surface, like a piece of cardboard on top of a workbench. Make sure the seal is still in place and put a few big sockets or other weighty objects along the top of the cover to compress the seal slightly.

Let it sit overnight, and now you can install the cover without fear of the seal becoming dislodged.

BTW, now would be a really good time to check the valve clearances and clean the throttle body. Be sure to replace the TB gasket. The PCV valve grommet is probably toast by now, so replace that and the PCV valve, and the hoses if they are hard. And since you are doing the valves, go ahead and replace the spark plugs and wires. Since you are doing the wires, you might as well replace the cap and rotor, and check the timing......

Hmm... is that a coolant drip I see under the left side of the block?

Isn't Cruiser maintenance fun?

John Davies

Geez, John, way to put a downer on my day :eek: Actually I have all the stuff ready to install so it looks like I'll probably replace the valve cover gasket. If I just replaced the PCV valve does this mean I have to replace it again when I remove the valve cover?

Biff said:
If I just replaced the PCV valve does this mean I have to replace it again when I remove the valve cover?

No.

Biff - what kind of mileage to you have now? I had mine replaced at about 125K.

Brentbba said:
Biff - what kind of mileage to you have now? I had mine replaced at about 125K.

Biff said:

If it's never been done, sounds like you have a project to do. hehehe :D

Brentbba said:
If it's never been done, sounds like you have a project to do. hehehe :D

If you come and help with it, I'll help you install your Snorkle and provide as much :beer: as you can drink. :D

Haven't purchased the snorkle yet, doubt I'd be of any help with the valve gasket and I don't drink :beer: , never have. :cheers: Besides, it would cost me at least $60 in gas to get to/from Alhambra. :eek:

Brentbba said:
Haven't purchased the snorkle yet, doubt I'd be of any help with the valve gasket and I don't drink :beer: , never have. :cheers: Besides, it would cost me at least $60 in gas to get to/from Alhambra. :eek:

Oh! wine drinker huh?? could probably scrounge a few marlos(sp) from my basement :D Thanks anyways.

Biff said:
Oh! wine drinker huh?? could probably scrounge a few marlos(sp) from my basement :D Thanks anyways.

Yea - I'm a wine snob, celler and all. You mean merlot?

Brentbba said:
Yea - I'm a wine snob, celler and all. You mean merlot?

Yep Merlot, never drank it but my wife has a collection, she's the wino in our family. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom