Leaking transmission fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 62 has always marked its territory with a couple drops from the bell housing to engine union when parked for a while. 226k on original mechanicals, all stock.

I dried things up a few years ago with new pan gaskets, but recently I noticed a significant increase in leaking. There’s now so much trans fluid all over the underside that I can’t even tell where it’s coming from - drips all over the ground. I assume a film of fluid is getting wind blown around at speed and dripping where it come to rest, so I’ll powerwash the chassis and start tracing it. I suspect the RMS or torque converter seal. Related or not, I’ve had some driveline rumbling at 70mph, although shifts are mostly fine, no slipping.

Any tips for troubleshooting or dealing with it, short of dropping the trans?

Your rear main would leak motor oil. See if you can narrow it down like you said by cleaning it. I'm not sure powerwashing is necessary. Maybe a bottle of cleaner and a bunch of rags. Just for s***s after clean fire it up and let it idle. I spotted from the pan by doing that and just letting it warm up.

Reactions: OSS
Your rear main would leak motor oil. See if you can narrow it down like you said by cleaning it. I'm not sure powerwashing is necessary. Maybe a bottle of cleaner and a bunch of rags. Just for s***s after clean fire it up and let it idle. I spotted from the pan by doing that and just letting it warm up.
Good point about the RMS. Mixed up my fluids. My nose tells me the reddish stuff under the truck is ATF. Isn’t there a seal at the torque converter that can cause seepage at the bell housing if it fails?

Yes there is a seal at the trans where the torque convertor slides in on the input shaft

also check the cooler lines on the side of the trans
have you checked the fluid level?

you need to clean it up and try to find the point of origin
remove the bellhousing access cover underneath and see what the inside of the bellhousing/torque convetor area looks like, if it is leaking inside there it will be obvious

Yes there is a seal at the trans where the torque convertor slides in on the input shaft

also check the cooler lines on the side of the trans
have you checked the fluid level?

you need to clean it up and try to find the point of origin
remove the bellhousing access cover underneath and see what the inside of the bellhousing/torque convetor area looks like, if it is leaking inside there it will be obvious
Fluid levels look good so far, I think the leak looked worse than it is because it had gotten blown all over the underside. After a thorough degreasing and pressure wash, I’m seeing this at the bell housing union

D4D2E3F7-F805-4473-9A85-9C31C83D85CE.jpeg

Apparently I’ve got a coolant leak too 🤬. Problem gotta snug up the hoses I just replaced this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom