Leaking sector shaft seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the sector seal on my 79 power steering box on my 74 FJ40 about 8 months ago. The seal that was in there looked to be in backwards (metal ring in with the seal lip to the outside) I installed the new seal with the metal cap out as you would to seal oil in. It's been leak free for 8 months, I just noticed oil dripping off my spring and see that the seal has been pushed out till the oil can get past it. Is there a retainer that should hold this seal? If not why is it getting enough pressure to pop this seal out?
I'm hoping not to rebuild this box if I don't need to.

Thanks

Kevin

Reseal the whole box.. that seal only keeps dirt & water from enterning from the outside... there is a internal leak.....

grant5127 said:
Reseal the whole box.. that seal only keeps dirt & water from enterning from the outside... there is a internal leak.....

So your saying that I did put the seal in backwards. And I don't see any vents but it is a power steering box.

Well I got this box off Ebay and if I got to pull it apart for seals I might as well rebuild it or swap out the guts for the pickup box guts.

Anyone know what year pickup box guts will fit a 79 FJ40 PS box?

Kevin

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between years on the power steering boxes? The reason that I ask is that I'm trying to reseal the transplanted power steering box on my '77 FJ40 and I'm told I need the "donor year" of the box to get the correct seals.

Any help is appreciated!

Send that thing off to West Texas Off Road and be done with it.
They can do a number on it cheaper than a seal kit and save you the hassle.

Thanks for the lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom