Leaking rear brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I know, there are a thousand threads on this, but they are difficult to sort through, and I keep getting distracted by all the cool pictures of conversions.

My brake light came on and I found some fluid leaking out of the rear right drum. I assume a leaking cylinder.

What are my simple options for a safe and effective repair. I can replace brake pads, but am an amateur wrencher.

I am planning on having a local shop do the work. Can I just replace the suspected leaking wheel cylinder? Or while there do I have them do both rear brakes, and including drums?

I already have front disks, and rather not do a complicated conversion. this is a sunny day driver that my kids drive some times.

I would rather not mess with axle swaps, etc.

Can any shop do this? Are parts readily available? Is there a full kit I should order? Better brands? Things to avoid?

Thanks in advance, and happy 4th of July!!

I'll bite.

You will at least need to replace the one cylinder and the shoes and a good cleaning of the area. Not a bad idea to at least look at the other side. If the shoes are fairly worn, while it's open, replace both pairs of shoes. It's not very difficult unless you've never done it. Then it's tough only because you're not familiar. Brake shops charge accordingly. (More than it's worth.) I think we're all wondering of this is an FJ40. If so, the parts are readily available. Find a local Cruiser owner near by, introduce yourself, and ask them if they know how to work on it and would be interested in teaching you. Next time, you save more money.

Last edited:
You can rebuild your brake cylinders yourself if they are in decent condition and none of the parts are broken. Rockauto sells the parts kit for about $6 a kit. Look up your vehicle's year and you can select from a few brands of rubuild kits. I think the ones I got are from "Centric" and "Raybestos". They have worked out good for me close to a year now

If you don't want to rebuild them, you can always buy new after market ones, which will cost you about 45$ a piece. If you're up for it, I say do the rebuild yourself. It is not difficult, just a little time consuming when you're doing it for the first time.

Let us know what you decide and we can assist you along the way if you do go hands on.

The rig is a 1982 BJ42 lx RHD from OZ. Should be the same brake setup as an FJ40? I haven’t removed the wheels to inspect the shoes yet, but thought if I am having one done, should likely do both pairs of shoes to keep them even. I think I will save the parts and rebuild the cylinders myself for next time. Unfortunately, time is my biggest enemy... just not enough of it, especially in the short Northeast summer! (Too many fish around this time of year!) I have a local cruiser mechanic who usually treats me fairly... will see what he says, and a couple of local regular garages. If I don’t like what I hear, I will rebuild the cylinder myself.

I assume I can drive it as it seems to be a slow leak... ???

It sounds like you have a nice land cruiser. I would bite the bullet and do a complete brake job on both sides and be done with it. I would check with Cruiser Outfitters or some of the other reputable venders and buy good quality brake components. It’s not hard to do yourself if you want to.
As far as safety, that’s up to you, if you try it, top off the reservoir and keep some fluid with you and stay close to home.

While some may say "it is not safe," Yes, you can drive it. My 1971 Fj40 had one leaking front cylinder and another front cylinder that was siezed up. I drove it like that for along time before doing anything to it. I would drive it at highway speeds and off road. I decided to do something about it once I had to continously pump the brakes, to build up pressure, to stop in time.

Thanks , I have driven it around town. I now just downshift and barely use the brakes

Clearly identified a leaking cylinder.
5F422E86-7D6D-494C-A802-B4CE71B35A64.jpeg

Shoes look worn, drum looks ok, but if I am doing the cylinder and shoes, should probably do those too?
ADB4557B-770D-42E6-A6F9-15495835C072.jpeg

Ok, so I can find a kit online made by “Dash4” for $160 for a pair of drums, shoes, cylinders and hardware.

Anyone ever heard of them?

Or can I just go to NAPA?

NAPA also sells a rebuild kit. If no pitting, they can be honed and seal properly again. Make sure drum thickness is in spec, guess how I know?? Did mine twice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom