Leaking radiator. Not sure where from (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forgot to mention, got 3 bottles of Toyota coolant too. For anyone wondering, the color of OEM coolant for 1976 is red!

6D231E87-FA67-4EAA-98C7-70B5632B1A04.jpeg

So where did you get it from, and is it the OEM number listed earlier, and did it come with the cap and drain extension?

So where did you get it from, and is it the OEM number listed earlier, and did it come with the cap and drain extension?

Correct! For anyone wondering: To order the OEM radiator, go to the local Toyota dealer or their parts search website if they have one and ask/search for part #16400-49356. This is the correct radiator for sure and it does include a new drain plug and new cap. Price was $271 for me here in Austin, Texas. The coolant was rather pricey at $29/bottle. TEQ cap $12.

almost certain they weren't making red coolant in 1976

everything back then was green

red didn't start until the early 90's??

almost certain they weren't making red coolant in 1976

everything back then was green

red didn't start until the early 90's??

Maybe so? I asked the parts guys at Toyota and they looked it up on the computer. This is what I got. Do you think it should be green and not red? I was using green up until this.

It looks like Toyota does recommened Red. I’m not sure if it was red back in the 70s or not. I’m gonna flush the cooling system with distilled water to make sure all the green is out then add the new Toyota red in.

Just make sure the new RED is compatible with other or older coolants.
JP

So I hope the Toyota folks have a response for my search, it’s baffling and aggravating. Here’s the search on part number 16400-49356:

Local dealership #1 - $506.24 local pickup
Local dealership #2 - $414.25 local pickup
Non-local dealership #3 - $306.40 delivered
Non-local dealership #4 - $323.50 delivered
Non-local vendor #5 - $360 + shipping

Inconceivable. I’d love to buy local, but not for this.

Last edited:
So I hope the Toyota folks have a response for my search, it’s baffling and aggravating. Here’s the search on part number 16400-49356:

Local dealership #1 - $506.24 local pickup
Local dealership #2 - $414.25 local pickup
Non-local dealership #3 - $306.40 delivered
Non-local dealership #4 - $323.50 delivered
Non-local vendor #5 - $360 + shipping

Inconceivable. I’d love to buy local, but not for this.

If you are having it shipped, kindly ask if they would inspect if before they send it.....ask me how I know!!!!! :bang:

I replaced my OEM with a brand new three row I bought, I think, from CCOT. My thought on old radiators is if it leaks now, you sure as heck don't want it to spring a new leak out on a trail someplace. Replace it now.

In Arizona I would repair a four core before I would I stall a three core.
New OEM radiator arrived already. Couldn’t resist getting the hat either while I was there! Man, I love new OEM stuff. Jango was interested too.
View attachment 1934004

If it was cracked where the drain goes into the bottom pan it could have been repaired. I've used silver solder on them before. Stronger than typical soft solder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom