Leaking Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am losing oil, it appers from a few different places under the truck. Pictures aren't great but tell me what you think. Also, after searching on here for a reputable mechanic in the Birmingham or Tuscaloosa area, which mud member wants to knock out the work for a few extra bones?

20150318_184004.jpg
20150318_183950.jpg
20150318_183935.jpg
20150318_184049.jpg
20150318_184033.jpg

Looks like every seal is leaking. Rear main, valve cover, pan, oil pump seal, knuckles.
That's about a 6 month project in the driveway.
Just keep it all topped off and rock out. Your rig is two decades old, every piece of plastic is brittle.

I'd like to start knocking them out...which is the most critical? Hardest to replace? Easiest?

Rear main is the hardest as it requires dropping the trans. Easiest will probably be the valve cover gasket. Like @Land Speeder said just keep it topped off and roll on.

In that case, the 80-section is your friend. You've got a lot of weekend projects ahead of you. I doubt you'll be able to do the rear-main. but yours looks to be dripping good. After you tackle everything else, you may find it's just an accumulation of them.

btw, none are critical. It's just a leak, park in the grass. Seriously.

Agreed. Mine marks it's spot everywhere I park it. I quit worrying and as long as there is oil on the dipstick I don't worry much about it.

My trans and xfer are leaving drops every where it parks.

Is the 2nd picture the rear main? I'm a noob and would be scared to tackle any of these on my own so I'll take your advice and keep an eye on the oil level.

How often do you have to add oil?

Another vote for keeping her topped off unless it's really draining.

I haven't really timed it. I would guess about a quart, maybe a little more, between oil changes.

I haven't really timed it. I would guess about a quart, maybe a little more, between oil changes.

Doubt that's your rear-main leaking that much, given the pics you posted. I burn a quart a month due to rings and it being a +300k mile mawter. You're most likely burning oil, not dripping it.

Quite possibly the rear main seal is leaking. That area is too clean possibly due to a constant leak and never giving dirt a chance to stick.

I would drive it and keep an eye on the oil level. And someday you can pull the engine and reseal it along with the headgasket that everyone and their mama is afraid of on the 80s.

I can do it but it would cost some coins...

Quite possibly the rear main seal is leaking. That area is too clean possibly due to a constant leak and never giving dirt a chance to stick.

I would drive it and keep an eye on the oil level. And someday you can pull the engine and reseal it along with the headgasket that everyone and their mama is afraid of on the 80s.

I can do it but it would cost some coins...

I think it may be getting to the point where these leaks need to be taken care of. Shoot me a PM and lets talk.

That does not seem like very much. Have you cleaned all the oil and started to monitor from a clean starting point? I kept a quart of oil under the hood and checked my oil every single time I put gas in the cruiser, which was often. I remember adding as much as a 1/2 a quart at a time, and this was with weekly checks.

I am not real good at wrenching but I have done a couple of oil pan gaskets, they are frustrating but not difficult. I would also replace the drain plug washer.

if you pull the motor you might as well stick a 6bt in its place. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom