Leaking IP, options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
projectpursuitmedia.com
Greetings,

I've got a 1990 HDJ81 with the 1HD-T. IP leaks a bit from the top, where the throttle closing spring is mounted to the IP. It only leaks when cold, once she warms up, no issues, but I am guessing that is just a symptom of more failing parts inside the pump. In any case, I am looking to solve the issue, as the leak may cause issues when I import it to the states. She also gets pretty dismal fuel economy (12 mpg at best), which may be an issue with injectors/pump, or could be my BIRFS that need to be rebuilt. Anyways...

Does anyone know a company with a good exchange program for these IP's? I am located in Japan, have both a Japan and US address. I have a local shop that will do the remove/install, but it would be ideal to have the new one before the old one is out, as the shop does not have space to wait 2 weeks for turnaround. Local dealer quoted $3000 for a new one, with installation, which seems reasonable. Dave from Japan4x4 can also send it to Denso for rebuild, but still run into the downtime problem. I'm hoping somewhere lets you purchase a rebuilt one, then send your old one in for a refundable core charge.

Thanks,
Clay

Hey mate,

not sure if this helps, but there is a company here in Australia who does exchange over pumps for $1850AU (about $1440US).

You pay $2350AU and they’ll send you a new pump, when you return your old one they’ll give you $500 back (or you can decide to keep your pump as a spare for that price).

shipping maybe a little expensive, so perhaps contact them.

I can’t vouch for their quality, but did read a couple of good things from various forums/Facebook. Either way, might be a cheaper option?

Edit - that said, $3k for a new pump installed (assuming you get to keep the old one) is a pretty reasonable deal

Re
Hey mate,

not sure if this helps, but there is a company here in Australia who does exchange over pumps for $1850AU (about $1440US).

You pay $2350AU and they’ll send you a new pump, when you return your old one they’ll give you $500 back (or you can decide to keep your pump as a spare for that price).

shipping maybe a little expensive, so perhaps contact them.

I can’t vouch for their quality, but did read a couple of good things from various forums/Facebook. Either way, might be a cheaper option?

Edit - that said, $3k for a new pump installed (assuming you get to keep the old one) is a pretty reasonable deal.

I shot them an email, we'll see what they say. Seem to be on sale right now too, about $1200 after refund, $1550 if I keep the old one. But I agree, tempting to go with brand spanking new at $3000.

What's the price for the overhaul and hire a vehicle if needed while you wait.

Oh the other thing I wanted to mention is I had a 1HDT pump rebuilt by “Diesel Australia” in Queensland 2 years ago for $450 (they did the 6 injectors as well for $750). They were very professional with a quick turn around and did a great job. Apparently pump rebuilds can be a lot more expensive but mine was in pretty good condition.
Not sure what tools you’ve got, but from memory it wasn’t too difficult to pull the pump and injectors. If you have a garage it might be worth buying the appropriate tools and pulling the pump and injectors yourself? The $1150AU I paid is only $900US...

There should be a local service for the injection pump and injectors to be rebuilt in 2-3 days or less. If you like spending money you can buy a new pump.

and thinking about it you can delete your cold start device since your pump is coming off

look up threads on ACSD delete

and this:

Probably a leaking "O" ring, most shops will have these and you can always have them try one size up if warranted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom