leaking gear fluid near parking brake drum.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DSC_0198.jpg

I've been lealing gear fluid for a while and it's getting ugly in the driveway.. time to deal with it..

I was wondering if this a common place to leak from.. it's coming from the front part of the ebrake drum where it meets the tcase.. neither of these have ever been rebuilt and my truck is 33 years old.. the fluid has been saturating my ebrake and it hasn't been holding as good.. gotta button this up before i can wheel safely..

dose anyone have any advice on this matter??:wrench:

Not uncommon at all.

Pretty strait-forward repair.

Grab your FSM and get after it.

Order parking brake shoes and a rear output seal, or just get a kit from SOR.

Your drum may be grooved as well, so you may want to pick up a speedi-sleeve so that you can repair the seal surface on the parking brake drum if it is damaged.

Some pics<---- this is a link (about half-way down there are some pictures)

:beer:

umm...never mind the speedo-gear but if you look past that you will see what seal you need to replace.
IMG_1771.JPG

umm...never mind the speedo-gear but if you look past that you will see what seal you need to replace.

I wasn't talking about the speedo gear itself, just the housing. Mudrak's housing has TWO of those seals you're referring to. As I said, extra insurance. As has been reported here on MUD, the speedi sleeve and new seal alone doesn't always fix the problem.

(this is assuming you were referring to my post) :grinpimp:

THANX Poser for the advice and the link.. feeling more confident about it already.. will let u know how it goes..:beer:

greytandy i appreciate the added input as well.. didn't see a price listed on the speedo housing tho.. any idea??:cheers:

When you pull the driveshaft off make sure you don't have any up-down or side-side play in the drum. If you do order up some shims from toyota to get rid if it. I replaced the seal 3 times and it never lasted more than a week or so until I got rid of the play at the rear output. Hopefully you don't have to deal with this, but if you do do some searches for fish scale and you can find the proper procedure for setting it up with the proper amount of rotational force.

:wrench:Finally got the parking brake rebuild kit and the time to attack this.. worked like a charm.. no more leaky diapers.. fortunately no play in the housing so no shims required.. thanx everyone for the helpful advice.. gotta love IH8MUD.. wish i knew about it when i did my resto.. :beer:

When you pull the driveshaft off make sure you don't have any up-down or side-side play in the drum. If you do order up some shims from toyota to get rid if it. I replaced the seal 3 times and it never lasted more than a week or so until I got rid of the play at the rear output. Hopefully you don't have to deal with this, but if you do do some searches for fish scale and you can find the proper procedure for setting it up with the proper amount of rotational force.
Where do you get Shims? Do you have a link

Cheers

Georg at Valley Hybrids sells a machined speedo housing to except two seals. Their awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom