Leaking Front Output Seal on Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Former lurker, new to posting on mud, not sure if this question has been asked or if this is the right place to post. If it has been asked or if this isn't the right place to post then direction to the proper thread would be appreciated.

I have a 93 Cruiser and the front output seal on the TC has began leaking every time I drive it. I noticed the leak after a wheeling trip where a rock hit my front drive shaft and put small dents in it but did not demolish it. There is no bearing whine or odd noises coming from the area, it only leaks and has progressively gotten worse over the last week. This is my DD and weekend toy. I would like to get it fixed soon but am in no major rush. It can be down for a few days. I've read around that dust can get trapped in the seal and cause a leak. I've tried cleaning it out by spraying carb cleaner and drying off, still leaks. I've read that it could be the breather hose is clogged, if so how do I check? Where is the hose connected on the TC and where does it end? If a clogged hose is not the issue, am I looking at a full rebuild of the TC or just replacing the leaking seal? I don't mind pulling it out again in a few years to rebuild if I can buy time just replacing the seal.
I am somewhat mechanically incline and detailed responses would be very helpful.

Most likely the seal. Issue is that the entire transfer case has to come off to replace the front output seal.

No way to do it on the truck.

Most likely the seal. Issue is that the entire transfer case has to come off to replace the front output seal.

That was my concern. Thanks for confirming what I was already thinking, a second opinion always clarifies the mind. Looks like I will be doing that sometime soon. Thank you!

When disassembling the TC, will I compromise any gaskets that will need to be replaced?

When disassembling the TC, will I compromise any gaskets that will need to be replaced?

You will need the transfer case fill and drain plug gaskets (90430-A0003 x2), the front output seal (90311-50014), red FIPG (00295-01281), and I would also do the input seal since you are removing the whole damn thing (90311-48016).

Personally, if it was me, I’d also replace the front output bearing.

Contact your local Toyota parts professional and see what they recommend.

Here are the parts numbers I used to replace mine...in addition to the drain plug gaskets (which are aluminum crush if I remember correctly) and some fipg. I think I already had the input seal....

90311-58008 OUTPUT SHAFT SEAL
90311-50014 DRIVE SHAFT SEAL
90363-40083 BEARING RADIAL BALL
90363-50005 BEARING RADIAL BALL

The snap rings are a pain and it was scary pressing out the front output shaft, but it came without cracking the housing.

You will need the transfer case fill and drain plug gaskets (90430-A0003 x2), the front output seal (90311-50014), red FIPG (00295-01281), and I would also do the input seal since you are removing the whole damn thing (90311-48016).

Personally, if it was me, I’d also replace the front output bearing.

Contact your local Toyota parts professional and see what they recommend.
Is a press required for the job? Or will a hammer and some wood get it done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom