Leaking coolant- Help identifying this part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lp2k

Had a couple of drinks.. saw a couple of things
Threads
Hey all - I’m here flushing out the pond scum out of my rig and making the switch from whatever was in there from PO to Toyota red. So I know I’ll be replacing the phh but when I began to flush with distilled water, I noticed a leak. It may have been there for awhile (I don’t drive my rig often as I’d like)

can any of you help me on this one and if anyone else encountered this? Anyone have a link on how to replace ? I’ve been reading a lot of threads on coolant flush and replacement but I’ve never seen a leak from here or replacement - thanks in advance

80358545-F437-4A01-9291-1CD2D8453162.jpeg

B3A4274B-46DD-4D65-8490-6075A3F3447F.jpeg

C29A5AC7-3130-4AD0-9FF1-980ACF893C7A.jpeg

D58C3DE1-6B6F-499A-B729-E96E20281CD8.jpeg

- I should clarify this is the driver side front . I am kneeling down and looking up like to the power steering pump if it helps to the left of the circle is the oil pan

Last edited:
Wow, quite disorienting photos but after faffing with phone so i can see things i recognize it looks like those are your rear heater hoses. They run from the firewall to the heater under the passenger seat. For the most part they are metal pipes but there are a few hoses in the mix. If you don't use the rear heater it can easily be bypassed by kits from @LandCruiserPhil or Wits end @NLXTACY

Thanks all - I should clarify this is the driver side front . I am kneeling down and looking up like to the power steering pump if it helps to the left of the circle is the oil pan

Looks like rear heater line but your hard pipes look great. Get a better shot of where the hard pipes connect to the rubber section.

EDIT: Driver's side? Heater hoses route down trans tunnel to under passenger seat, so not heater lines.

Last edited:
Is it coolant or atf? If coolant probably your throttle body lines. If atf power steering lines or pump

those are not the rear heater lines, they are heading to the front of the truck. Are you sure that is coolant? I'm not aware of any coolant lines that run that way. I would guess power steering but I haven't had to deal with those yet.

That is not rear heater lines.

I'll bet you do have a coolant leak, but it's above that hose. Those you are pointing to appears to be part of the power steering cooler paperclip, or a transmission cooler line, both of which contains ATF, not coolant.

I will bet money that either your radiator is leaking at the top flange or the nipple on the top tank is cracked and leaking or one of those hoses near the top is leaking.

You need to trace the wetness to it's highest point.

You can also borrow a cooling system pressure tester and test it cold to see where it leaks while sitting still.

You are seeing a symptom, not a cause.

Those are your transmission cooler hard lines., that's where they kick down behind the motor mount. ATF inside those. As others have said, probably something above them leaking and running down the block. Throttle body water lines are probably the most likely. Maybe even the steam port hose and water running back down the intake....

Good luck !

Jason

Thanks y'all. It is really hot and I have not had a chance to go back out and work on the truck between family work and weather.

I think it is this 16261-66040:

full

waiting on a shipment from wits end, once I get it, I'll be replacing all of the rubber hoses along with t-stat and o-rings. fingers crossed. Either way, I will post the conclusion.

You can search for "FHH" or "No. 2 Bypass Hose" for more info. Like the PHH is has a well deserved nickname.

FML.. double whammy.

Thanks y’all for chiming in

I’m flushing once a day with distilled water until it’s clear and then I’m going to do a fin drain to replace all of the hoses and thermostat. I’m doing it once a day so I don’t burn myself when I drain it the next day as it cools down, yea I move really slow lol

B415AF19-6036-43EA-995A-80C59DEF0A6A.jpeg

FML.. double whammy.

Thanks y’all for chiming in

I’m flushing once a day with distilled water until it’s clear and then I’m going to do a fin drain to replace all of the hoses and thermostat. I’m doing it once a day so I don’t burn myself when I drain it the next day as it cools down, yea I move really slow lol

View attachment 2679627
I did it 6 times with distilled water. I would drain and fill in the morning, drive to work 14 miles each way, then park with the front in the air at night to let it cool.

Final drain and fill was with T-Red.

I did it 6 times with distilled water. I would drain and fill in the morning, drive to work 14 miles each way, then park with the front in the air at night to let it cool.

Final drain and fill was with T-Red.

Yea I’m waiting on a shipment from Joey so I’m going a bit slow. Decided to clean up my air filter tuna can. That little can on the bottom was just nasty. Going to spend some time (sand repaint) while tending this flush

ran out of clear cups, found something clear to show drain and fill #3 with distilled water

2B71F682-B54E-4218-AA64-97A562F5CD18.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom