Leaking brake fluid please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, I am changing out my Dad's Master Cylinder and I am having a strange leak.

First off, it is a 1988 FJ62, stock.

I am having a leak where the master cylinder and reservoir meet.

FSM does not show an O Ring or a gasket there, I did tighten it down to 18 lbs of ft tourge, and I have bleed everything properly.

So has any one ever had a leak hear??

What should I do?

Do I need toget a new reservoir for him or what???

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks Gurr,

I looked at that too. I called the toyota dealership and they said there was not gasket or O-Ring between the two, got the same answer from ORielly and Autozone.

But I still had that damned leak.

So I went to the hardware store , bought to rubber washers, one inside the reservoir the other, where the two meet. Tightened it down to 18lbs of torque, and so far no leak...

I will have my Dad keep an eye on it and we will see where it goes.

It looks to me like the "washer is what provides the seal. I'm guessing that the bolt is hollow to allow brake fluid to flow from the reservoir to the cylinder. If the reservoir or washer is scored or distorted, then you may not get a good seal.
brake reservoir.JPG

Wow, where the hell did you get that pick, it is not in my FSM, nor my Haynes. on SOR site, it is there but not the on the MC listed for my year model............

You sure that is for a 88, if so that pisses me off that Toyota said that there was not a washer.

Its on SOR (page 014), I found the same thing.

Is that an aftermarket Master that your putting in?

Yes, a rebuilt unit, did not come with any washer, and there was not one in there when I removed it.

Funny, if you look at the assy breakdown for FJ62, there is NO washer there, but there is a ring of some sort that goes into the cast MC, under the resv.... And the Resv is a diff part #s for the 60/62 ... ?

The pic 2mbb posted is not what your truck had from the factory, it seems...

Part # for the ring under the MC is 90562-18151

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/212441-brake-master-o-ring.html

oops. Sorry, I was thinking FJ60. Here's the pic's and P/N for the FJ62. That ring was available separately, and might still be from toyota.
fj62 master cylinder.JPG
fj62 master cylinder ring.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom