Leak on top of transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Got a leak on top of my transfer case. (This is a lead on from another thread I had about part no's, copied it here to a more relevant title.)

What could it be please??

I've replaced the front and rear output seals, and both the speedo drive seals. The output shafts are definitely dry, I think the speedo drive is too.

I removed the bash plate for a better look, seems to be leaking near the very top of the transfer case, its hard to see, I attached some crap pictures. Most oil is coming down between the front output shaft and the rear of the gearbox.

The gearbox is still full, (very possibly overfull but I suspect not, I'll have to check again when its cool)

Wishful thinking, in the factory manual there is an oil seal shown on top of the rear case, but I cant see what its for. Shows just a seal and nothing to go with it. ???

What do you think please?

rgds

Les

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a482/zakflak1/DSC_0110_zps272bb83d.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a482/zakflak1/DSC_0115_zpsfe062cbc.jpg

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/za...bb83d.jpg.html

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/za...62cbc.jpg.html

Possibly coming out the breather?

there are not too many exposed seals on the transfer case. One for each of the shift forks and one for each of the output shafts. The one shown in the FSM on the front of the case it the seal between the transmission and transfer case. If it leaks, fluid will go from one to the other, but not necessarily leak to the ground.

The breather is a good suggestion. It is located on the very top of the front half of the case. If the transmission/transfer seal is leaking it is conceivable that fluid has leaked down from the transmission, overfilling the transfer, causing the fluid to come out the breather.

Capture.jpg

Thanks guys but my transmission is definitely not low on oil as I pulled the fill plug tonight and oil came out, probably because it was hot.

Is there a chance it's coming from the engine and being blown aft by wind? Others have had their side cover and/or valve cover leaking enough to run back to the transmission and transfer case.

Have you filled the zerc fittings on your driveshaft recently? Mine splattered all over everything for a while after I did.

Mine was leaking from the top as well. I looked at the breather and everything else I could think of. It ended up being the gasket in a short area between the TC and spacer. I visited with Georg and a few others because I had never seen one leak there. Even Georg said it was rare. But, I wasn't the only one that had this issue before. My 60 had sat for approx 3 years and the gaskets had dried up. When I started driving it on a regular basis it gave way. May not be your issue but its worth a look. Hard area to see even with a mirror.

Here's a pic of mine.

OH YEAH I FIXED THE PROBLEM BY SWAPPING IN A H55..:grinpimp:

GL

J

H42 Leak.jpg

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I got under there at lunchtime today and thoroughly degreased it and I can feel the gasket between the transfer halves sticking out in the same area you arrowed in your picture reevesci. I think thats the most likely problem now.

I called a local gearbox rebuilder and they estimate £180 GBP to remove/install, approx £200 to rebuild and all plus tax plus any parts parts needed. Ouch.

Well as its running ok and asssuming the gears are ok, whats the minimum I should get changed while its down. Seals and bearings?

rgds

Les

Absolutely, done it several times. You have to unbolt the crossmember and let it droop down so you have clearance.

Absolutely, done it several times. You have to unbolt the crossmember and let it droop down so you have clearance.
KLF, this is encouraging, I'm no mechanic but not a total plonker, is this relatively easy DIY?

I wonder if there is a thread covering this?

Does this cover it or is there more to it :-
Drop rear prop
Remove speedo driven gear
Remove transmission output shaft lock nut
Remove rear companion flange
Remove rear output shaft companion flange bearing retainer
Remove speedo drive gear
Remove idler gear shaft lock plate
Release crossmember
Undo bolts and whack with a rubber mallet and remove rear transfer case half

??

rgds

Les

Am I on the right track with those steps above please, are there any gotchas? Do I have to pull the selector bearings and springs, and do I need to drain the gearbox oil as well?

Rgds,

Les

Finally got round to doing this, all nice and dry now, was no problem and pretty much as steps above, I didn't need to drop the cross member. And you do need to pull the selector ball bearing, although for some reason I only had one on mine unlike the manual which shows two? The gasket was blown out on top in the same place as reevesci 's. Thanks for all the advice earlier.

rgds,

Les

I am getting the exact same problem as you stated above uk55. I am getting a leak from top of transfer case and I can feel the gasket poking out. It only leaks after I drive it. I am going to replace the gasket soon, did you end up replacing anything else while you were in there?

I am getting the exact same problem as you stated above uk55. I am getting a leak from top of transfer case and I can feel the gasket poking out. It only leaks after I drive it. I am going to replace the gasket soon, did you end up replacing anything else while you were in there?
I have a leak as well cant find it!!
I feel like pulling it off and doing all possible leaks points.
My guess is on top where it meets black area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom