Leak Idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

First post and looking forward to being an LX470 owner soon. So many guys had raved about them for a truck alternative for hunting that I jumping in. Coming from a 3/4 ton duramax, I'm optimistic.

Wonder if some of you mechanical experts may have an idea what this oil looking area on the skid plate could indicate?

The dealer said if there's a leak that they'd fix it, which is greatly appreciated, so figure someone here might have a good idea what they can check/repair. I'll have 250 miles and a couple days to drive it and able to return if not satisfied. Flying in to get it so am trying to do what recon I can remotely.

2 additional underbody pics below, as I asked the salesperson to send them specifically to see if any rust or corrosion.

Thanks!

Steve

IMG_3408.jpeg
IMG_3409.jpeg
IMG_3410.jpeg

Oh, and if curious to know more details and see how the truck looks:
2005 LX470
173k mi
Been in southwest, which I targeted, in hopes of less rust.

IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

CV joints on both sides most definitely. Lots of grease on the LCA and lower ball joint.

The oil / grease on the skid plate could be from a few things. Oil, transmission, or axles.

These things pop up periodically here in Montana fairly affordable, you just have to be patient.

CV joints on both sides most definitely. Lots of grease on the LCA and lower ball joint.

The oil / grease on the skid plate could be from a few things. Oil, transmission, or axles.

These things pop up periodically here in Montana fairly affordable, you just have to be patient.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not attached to this one, but do like the idea of one with less rust. It's also just had 2 owners and had the most regular maintenance records on carfax.

Local would be great but seems like there would be more natural rust if from here, if nothing else from salt in the winters. Here in the Bitterroot though, don't think they're using salt due to the proximity of the hwy to the river.

I'll see Monday (when service dept opens) what they say on the leaks, to see if they back up their words that they'd fix any and make them right.

Thanks

Also looks like the driver side shock is really shinny.

I'd expect to see some excess grease slung around the drive axle joints, but don't.

They put something on the MT200 along the Blackfoot, it's much closer to the river than US-93 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom