Leak ID help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

A couple leaks that have been cooking that I haven't gotten to and they are looking pretty bad. Hoping you can help me narrow in on what I should be gearing up for in the coming weeks.

#1 Power Steering
First leak appears to be coming from power steering though unclear whether it is coming from the actual pump or the high pressure line (44411-60430). Given the gunk build up, hoping for some guess on likely culprit, though I may have read that I have to pull the pump to replace the high pressure line?

#2 Engine block leak front driver side
Its been a while since I did any serious PM on the truck, so my skills are a little rusty. Back in 2011 (30k miles ago) I replaced the valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring, and spark plug grommets, and previously did the PCV and hose in 2008 (51k miles ago). I could be wrong, but it seems like none of those are leaking currently, but again, my skills are rusty. I'm kind of thinking oil pump gasket given location and clean area of blow back from the oil, but maybe this will look familiar to someone who can help me out.

Thanks all. Photos below

Power Steering leak photo 1 of 2
IMG_20200105_143931.jpg

Power Steering pump leak photo 2 of 2 [Look at that hanger!! Must be a record of some kind. Note: I switched to Mobil DTE 24 in 2009 for some reason, hence no red color at all]
IMG_20200104_134847.jpg

Engine leak photo
IMG_20200104_134841.jpg

[Also please see the first power steering photo which shows a lot of relatively dry caked on oil gunk up fairly high on the engine block. It was crumbly and dry, but definitely shouldnt be there. Not sure if an oil pump leak could be gently misting that area too]

Looks like the usual 3 culprits, oil pump cover gasket, front main seal and distributor o-ring.
Could be the power steering pump too.
You might want to get after all the gunk with a scrub brush and a pail of purple power. Get everything nice and clean and then you'll have a better idea were the leaks are coming from.
Drier vent brushes work great for getting between hoses and belts BTW.

Thanks @NLXTACY

Pulled everything apart this weekend and replaced the oil pump gasket, front main seal, thermostat, and water pump. I didnt change the steering pump hoses because the piece that is leaking is the U shaped line, which looks like it is a totally separate part from the hoses. Is that right?

Also, cool kits with everything included...hex screws, #3 head to remove old screws, 2" pvc cap to set main seal, brake goop to stick gasket to, etc. Good stuff. Many thanks

Thanks @NLXTACY

Pulled everything apart this weekend and replaced the oil pump gasket, front main seal, thermostat, and water pump. I didnt change the steering pump hoses because the piece that is leaking is the U shaped line, which looks like it is a totally separate part from the hoses. Is that right?

Also, cool kits with everything included...hex screws, #3 head to remove old screws, 2" pvc cap to set main seal, brake goop to stick gasket to, etc. Good stuff. Many thanks
That's the high pressure hose. The u shaped metal is part it. Usually about $50 for aftermarket or 1 arm/leg for oem

Yeah - the Wits End kits. Get the new kit for the 3 low pressure PS hoses. There are 4 total hoses that complete PS system. I can tell you that you have an OEM high pressure hose installed - most likely on day of manufacture. You can replace with OEM (probably best, but spendy); but many folk get decent results with Gates brand high pressure hose ~$50.

Apart from all that, be sure the distributor isn't leaking oil from bottom, plug #6 iirc. It can drop down and soak the hi-pressure ps hose making it look like it's leaking. Just replaced all 4 of mine today. PO replaced them with cheap alternative types and they didn't hold up well. Good piece of mind when you're where an 80 can take you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom