Leak Driving me insane (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Water is leaking into my driver side floor board, so far I have cleaned the sunroof drains, unclogged the drain in the rockers, and had my windshield replaced about three weeks ago. The liner on the driver side A pillar in wet up a couple inches from the corner of the windshield, it's not wet on the inside of the windshield gasket. Any suggestions? I can't think of or find any other suspects searching the forum.

was the windshield glued on both sides?

Outside on both lips, meeting the glass and body. Are you asking if they sealed inside the truck? I don't believe so.

Mine leaked with an aftermarket gasket. OEM and no leaks. Oh....I also sealed my sunroof shut. the drains where fine but the seal was bad and the amount of water in hard rain was too much for the drains so it would overflow down the pillar. I hate sunroofs so no biggie. You can always tape/seal your sunroof to narrow down possibilities.

I had them use an OEM gasket and follow the FSM on the windshield install. I did have a look at my drains again the driver side was draining super slow. Since I live in Seattle and won't be needing to open the sunroof for the next six month I went ahead and ran a bead of silicone around the seal, as you said if it leaks again at least I'll know it's not coming from the sunroof and can look elsewhere. If no more leaks I'll replace it in the summer, or spend the money on the next thing that pops up.

I was having this same issue, my left foot got a nice shower when it rained and right before I replaced the gasket and windshield, it was even dripping onto my dashboard. After speaking with a glass guy that installed another 80 windshield, he decided to experiment with mine and we we installed it with only a gasket, no glue and used hand cleaner from autozone (the cheap stuff with lanolin in it) when the new windshield went in. I have not had any leaks and have driven it through some heavy rain without any problems.

Some here might suggest injecting glue under the gasket but I would highly advise against this as the surface area probably has some rust developing that needs to be addressed when the windshield comes out. If you live in a wetter climate than Phoenix, you will have much more serious rust than I had.

As I understand it, the gasket is, by design, watertight and will not leak. The issue comes with the gasket as it ages and loses its integrity. It's also important to keep in mind that the urethane used when the trucks were originally built is much different than what is currently available. Unfortunately, no matter what urethane is used, it WILL pull paint up with it when the windshield is removed, leading to more rust.

I would find a glass company that is willing to put in a fresh gasket and not use urethane. When the windshield is out, clean the area thoroughly, kill off the rust, and seal it with touch up paint (we used a very technical procedure on mine, involving touch up paint sprayed into a cap and brushed on with a Q-tip) then install a new gasket that won't leak.

The members of this forum that live in wet and snowy climates and are just adding sealant or urethane under the gasket are asking for big problems down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom