Leak at Transfer Case Output (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

My '73 FJ40 (3 spd) has been dropping a oil from the parking brake housing. I removed the drive shaft, parking brake housing and flange that's connected to the transfer case, and tracked it down to oil coming through where the bearings are(sorry - don't know the name of the part).

Hoping I can lean on the collective experience of this knowledgeable group for guidance on what needed to remedy this situation.

Thanks in advance for any help with this guys.

IMG_4062.JPG

Here's the best long-term solution:

Other than that, if there's a groove that's letting gear oil past the seal, you can get a Speedi-Sleeve to slip over the shaft.

Here's the best long-term solution:

Other than that, if there's a groove that's letting gear oil past the seal, you can get a Speedi-Sleeve to slip over the shaft.
Thank you for the reply and link.

Are Speedi-Sleeves a universal part - or is there a specific size (or provider) that I should be looking for?
Also, is it also called a Transfer Case Extension Housing Repair Sleeve?

Thanks again.

A quick search here on MUD should answer the question. I'm thinking Summit Racing has them specific for this application, but I'm not sure.

A quick search here on MUD should answer the question. I'm thinking Summit Racing has them specific for this application, but I'm not sure.
Looks like Poser has posted the part reference a few times - CR 99177 (Thanks @Poser)

But should the bearings be leaking like that – or does the sleeve go BEHIND the bearings? Sorry for the remedial questions. Learning.

Thanks

The sleeve goes on your parking brake drum. Post a picture of it, there's probably a groove worn from the seal.

If there's oil in the transfer case still it will leak, there's nothing holding it in. The seal on the speedometer housing you pulled off keeps it in.

99177 is correct I just did the repair. Carquest and Napa had them here locally.

The sleeve goes on your parking brake drum. Post a picture of it, there's probably a groove worn from the seal.

If there's oil in the transfer case still it will leak, there's nothing holding it in. The seal on the speedometer housing you pulled off keeps it in.

99177 is correct I just did the repair. Carquest and Napa had them here locally.
Ah!, got it. Thanks for the clarity - like I said - learning.
I was scratching my head wondering how a circular sleeve around a spline shaft would prevent the leak. :p

So if I'm following along, it sounds like it goes on this shaft of the drum.

Will clean-up all the parts that I pulled thus far. Picking-up the 99177 part shortly.

Thanks for the guidance - much appreciated. :beer:

IMG_7605.jpg

Did you put sealant on the splines?

Did you replace the rear output seal?

Usually it's all done at once...seal, sleeve and the silicone on the splines like he mentioned ^
Search around there's a ton of good threads on it.

Also this is a common mod done at the same time.

Usually it's all done at once...seal, sleeve and the silicone on the splines like he mentioned ^

The context you guys have shared is greatly appreciated, and this has been a valuable experience for my son and I as we bond while building our wrenching skills.

Since I have to get back under the truck, I'm going to order the Valley Hybrids kit and do this right.
From what I've read, the silicone gets applied behind the washer & nut that holds the drum in place - can someone please confirm or correct?

Thanks guys!

X2 on double seal housing and sealant on splines.

Hi guys, just came across this post as I have the same issue and am trying to blueprint the plan in my head. I'm still a novice so photos would be most helpful, but I can't understand where the silicone is going when mentioned above? I also don't know the purpose of it which would probably help. And what type of silicone?
Also, the part number of the sleeve is noted, but the seal for this is 90311-45001, is that right? And will the sleeve add much benefit if I'm replacing the seal? I still don't really get what the sleeve is for either. Yes I've looked around, unfortunately for me most people have a clue about things and don't over explain too often. Its hard being new.

I tried to over-explain when I did this earlier in the year. Hopefully you find this useful.

The silicone sealant goes inside the splines of the brake drum where it sits on the splined drive shaft. If you omit the sealant then you'll get a slow drip.

Thanks @45Dougal, that's a great walkthrough. There should a forum section called 'walkthroughs for dummies' for the novices like myself.
A couple of basic questions if you don't mind...
As I prepare, are there any parts you recommend I replace regardless of condition, other than the crush washer and output seal (car was not well maintained previously).
Is the sleeve's purpose to sit flush against the seal so as to keep it seated? How necessary is it? I have had my vehicle a long time without it being registered. I really just want to register it and drive as it is now driving season. I will have to order the sleeve internationally, so it will set me back timewise.
Does the silicone sealant go in here? (see pic)...
Thanks.

Screenshot_20231118-151209~2.png

Last edited:
Correct, that's where the sealant goes.

You only need the speedisleeve if the shaft is worn. The purpose is to make the shaft round again and smooth as it was originally. Its a tight fit on the shaft once its hammered on.
As you'll see on mine, there wasn't a huge wear mark on the shaft but it was enough to damage the seal and make it leak, so best to just buy it before you start.

Brake shoes obviously should be replaced, and I painted everything while it was apart too.
A good time to clean your prop shaft and regrease - make sure it goes back on with the same orientation as it came off otherwise it will vibrate badly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom