Leak at front right tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hub

Threads
Hey guys. I got home this weekend and this morning noticed oil under my right front tire. It has to be I guess coming from the ball joint. I'm guessing a bad seal?
It's a 95 LC about 230,000k. Anyway, I can't take the time and may not have the skill to break this thing apart. Any one know of a good mechanic in Gainesville, Cumming, Dawsonville, Georgia?

Its time for a knuckle rebuild. The oil seal on the axel where it comes into the knuckle is shot.
Sorry, I don't know any mechanics, I do all my own work.

Definitely need a knuckle/birfield rebuild. If you can't find a land cruiser shop in the area, ask around for shops that work on old solid front axle trucks.

Hey guys. I got home this weekend and this morning noticed oil under my right front tire. It has to be I guess coming from the ball joint. I'm guessing a bad seal?
It's a 95 LC about 230,000k. Anyway, I can't take the time and may not have the skill to break this thing apart. Any one know of a good mechanic in Gainesville, Cumming, Dawsonville, Georgia?
TO reduce the leak and buy time, get a tube of Valvoline Palladium grease and pump it all into that knuckle through the square plug. It will "thicken the soup" so it leaks less and it needs the grease anyway.

I've been doing this on mine for a year now, because "I'll get to it next week"...... I guess I should order the parts at least......

Does the mess on the inside of your tire look like this ("Birf" Soup)?
Mud Trivia: BIRF is a Mud term short for Birfield type CV joint.

When were the front axle or CV joints last serviced?

Birf Soup.jpg

Thanks guys for the advice. It definitely does not look like "berf soup". Its just clean looking oil.

Hmmm, maybe no grease left in there. Mine was like that on the DS when I got it , seal was just toast and the oil had washed all the grease out of the knuckle. I had greasy oil in my knuckle when I took it apart, almost no sign of grease. Time for a knuckle rebuild.

Hub: Is the oil pungent smelling (stinky) or??

Can you post up a photo showing the leak?

You needed a knuckle rebuild couple thousand miles ago, lol. Mine were in similar condition. Spent several hours just scraping muddy grease off everything with plastic razor blades.
Pour one out for whoever has to do that.

Yup! Birf Soup!

To delay, add the Palladium, but you need new inner axle seals and you need to rebuild on the outside of both side to get to them.

So, a front axle rebuild is in your near future.

Also time to re-route your axle housing breather to make sure it's not pushing out the fluid when it heats up.

Mine looks the same and I only park it in the street anymore so it doesn't drool on my driveway.

Hose it down with purple power and get to scrubbing with plastic bristle brush. Probably going to take a couple of treatments. A pressure washer works awesome, but you'd only do that the night before, cuz it's going to blow water passed the seals.

To determine if it's gear oil (stinky) I suppose you would have to know what gear oil smells like, so stick your finger in the goop and report back, really,
for future reference. But it is (as multiple posts have mentioned above) time
to do a complete front axle service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom