Leak after filling transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I filled the transfer and gearbox with oil the other night..
The next day I mopped it up off the floor.
I had a leak at the bearing retainer on the gearbox input and another at the transfer output end.
Tonight I dropped the gearbox out and found the problem up front.
I don’t know what I was thinking but I installed the gearbox and transfer case without bolting the bearing retainer (to the gearbox) that fits in the bell housing.
Ok, so that solves that.
At the output end I had oil leaking out of the parking brake drum. The seal is new.
My question is, would you typically assemble the parking brake, tighten everything and then fill the t case with oil?
I didn’t have the nut done up tight on the drum and I also saw fit to put a paper gasket between the speedo housing and the backing plate. Is this combo of bad mechanics the reason for the leak? The gasket would space the drum out fractionally and the un tightened nut would be the reason that the seal wasn’t sufficient.
Am I right or am I missing something else?
Also, there are no grooves on the drum sleeve where it slips over the output splines.
Your opinions and advice are welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you

So I filled the transfer and gearbox with oil the other night..
The next day I mopped it up off the floor.
I had a leak at the bearing retainer on the gearbox input and another at the transfer output end.
Tonight I dropped the gearbox out and found the problem up front.
I don’t know what I was thinking but I installed the gearbox and transfer case without bolting the bearing retainer (to the gearbox) that sits in the bell housing.
Ok, so that solves that.
At the output end I had oil leaking out of the parking brake drum. The seal is new.
My question is, would you typically assemble the parking brake, tighten everything and then fill the t case with oil?
I didn’t have the nut done up tight on the drum and a also saw fit to put a paper gasket between the speedo housing and the backing plate. Is this combo of bad mechanics the reason for the leak? The gasket would space the drum out fractionally and the un tightened nut would be the reason that the seal wasn’t sufficient.
Am I right or am I missing something else?
Also, there are no grooves on the drum sleeve where it slips over the output splines.
Your options and advice are welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you

you have answered most of your questions

YES everything has to be tight , torqued to FSM specs and ALL gaskets should be GLUED woth Toyota oem Trans-axle Sealant FIPG orange

if you bolt it al up and torque tight with Toyota sealant , well where is it gonna leak from ?

ony one place will eventually start to come out the fill plug hole u are filing

you need a FSM shop manual NOW , before you proceed TRUST me on this key point im making , without one you risk more failure

with on in hand paper print media slung over your fender like a horses sadel you follow the step by step instructions to the letter

and guess what happens bad ?

NOTHING BAD !

you make a text book repair and cross it off your punch out list

those are the facts as i understand your dilemma above

now you know and knowledge is power and power = a issue free remedy to your project

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom