Leaf springs flat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think these are the originals on my '83 FJ 60. They are flat and the wagon sits low in the back with only the spare tire as cargo. How much arc should there be in the stock springs? I can't find any pics of FJ's that aren't lifted. Thanks for your help!
left rear leaf spring.jpg
right rear leaf spring.jpg

Those are flat. My arc in phots below.
Bet it feels like a jackhammer over speedbumps 😀
Mine is stock height using Specter Offroad sourced Dakkar/OME springs labled grocery getters. They are the only stock height springs Ive found.

FEC2890A-8912-4DC2-9CB6-75FC1B14B567.jpeg

Mine is stock height using Specter Offroad sourced Dakkar/OME springs labled grocery getters. They are the only stock height springs Ive found.

View attachment 2492330
Thanks for confirming my suspicion! Yeah, it is rough but I thought that might be how it was supposed to ride. I really appreciate your help.

100% stock springs on my 83- they get a little help from a BOSS airbag system, fairly cheap way to get rid of the mom butt.

FEEA4129-3AE2-411B-8E32-30215D7733B3.jpeg

Stock springs fresh out of the factory on a new FJ60 looked flattish. Your rears look kinda normal, maybe 1/2" to 5:8" lower.
Take a picture of the distance between the bump stops and the axle perch and post them. If you've got a 3/4" space between the front axle bump stop and the axle pad - that's close enough to factory height to be considered normal.

Every picture of an FJ60 that has replaced springs show the vehicle higher than it ever was coming out of the factory in Japan.

Stock springs fresh out of the factory on a new FJ60 looked flattish. Your rears look kinda normal, maybe 1/2" to 5:8" lower.
Take a picture of the distance between the bump stops and the axle perch and post them. If you've got a 3/4" space between the front axle bump stop and the axle pad - that's close enough to factory height to be considered normal.

Every picture of an FJ60 that has replaced springs show the vehicle higher than it ever was coming out of the factory in Japan.
Thanks but I just finished ordering a new pair. I'll update my post once I get them and install them. I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion! Yeah, it is rough but I thought that might be how it was supposed to ride. I really appreciate your help.
Its never going to be a smooth ride but my back seat passengers used to feel like crash test dummies on speedbumps. Much better after replacing.

I think these are the originals on my '83 FJ 60. They are flat and the wagon sits low in the back with only the spare tire as cargo. How much arc should there be in the stock springs? I can't find any pics of FJ's that aren't lifted. Thanks for your help!View attachment 2492322View attachment 2492323
? Those need to be replaced can't use those anymore there's no spring Flex.

Cruiser Outfitters will sell their 2" OME lift kit and mark a leaf on each pack to remove to lower the lift down to 1". This is what I think SOR is doing on theirs anyway. But Cruiser Outfitters is $700 less after shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom