Leaf Spring restoration question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have been hunting for threads on leaf restoration and watching various videos. Is it correct the normal procedure is to clean the springs (blast or wire brush), phosphoric acid, prime and paint replace bushing and reassembe.? If there is a groove (valley) worn on spring smooth that out (and maybe champer edge of above spring? )but otherwise OEM springs should be fine? Someone is trying to suggest shortening leafs by 50-80mm (on EACH SIDE) and removing a leaf. This doesn’t make sense to me and wonder if I am the ‘mad one’ or is this in fact a method of restoring leaf spring? My original spring seem to be stuck and the ride is very jerky as I don’t think springs slide on each other. I have seen some video suggesting ‘cooper ease’ between leaf— does that make sense? Or if too soft using ‘add-a-leaf’.

Any advice, links etc. greatly appreciated. I hunted for threads but didn’t see much. Or is it better to bite the bullet and buy OME new springs and replace?
Many thanks,

Have you considered re-arching your springs?

I went through the same path on a 1969. After all research , cost and time to prep etc.. I decided the cost of a brand new set of Old Man emu was less expensive. Also, re arching has a history of the arch not lasting as long as a new set. If I were doing a concourse restoration as a museum piece, perhaps saving the old ones would be a good thing.

Many thanks but am I correct no one would actually cut 2-3 inches of each length to “stiffen”? I never heard it this approach being suggested to me.

Thanks guys,

One hallmark of 'good riding' leaf springs is nylon slippers between the leaves. My FJ62 has these (factory) and OME does. I doubt any amount of cleaning/painting/greasing-between-the-leaves will materially affect how well your FJ40 rides. If you want a better ride, some new springs that aren't sagged out will help. I think re-arching won't last.

I installed Jeep Wrangler add-a-leafs (no longer sold by Rancho) and they gave me some lift and a decent ride, but this is no longer an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom