Leaf spring removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Of course I've already read as much as I can find, but was hoping for some custom advice for my rig. Like everyone else, I would like to soften the ride, but generally want to keep things stock, so any input is welcome.

It is a long wheel base fj45 Arkana conversion (so it began its life as a truck- and has springs designed to hold everything a truck could carry). The rear is built pretty stout and heavy, but I'm not sure It will ever carry as much weight now as it would have as a work truck.

It has six 3/8"-5/16" springs with three 1/2" springs below. Here's a pic
IMG_0108.JPG

Here's a picture of her (because we all like those) and to judge the weight of the back.
IMG_0271.JPG

Perhaps I just need new shocks, but I was hoping to get some collective insight as I try to consider any changes/upgrades before jumping right in.
Thanks

Also it seems removing springs could cause the back end to drop. Any thoughts on that as well?

I would go with Old Man Emu springs, etc. with a 2-1/2" lift as it would be very close to stock height and a much better ride. Also replace shocks and spring shackles.

I would go with Old Man Emu springs, etc. with a 2-1/2" lift as it would be very close to stock height and a much better ride. Also replace shocks and spring shackles.

Thank you,
I've definitely considered that, just the cost that has caused me to consider other options. I was kind of thinking/hoping that removing helper springs might be an affordable way to do it.

How about a couple of 100 pound sacks of sand in the rear to soften up the ride?

If you ever really load that up, you're going to want those springs.

If you ever really load that up, you're going to want those springs.

That's exactly what I was hoping to get opinions on. I've definitely loaded it up with construction debris and will continue to, but the ride to the dump didn't feel a whole lot smoother with 750 lbs in the back.

Thanks, keep the ideas flowing.

How are your body bushings? If they are old and worn out a new set will help ride quality!

Josh

Thanks Josh,
I've got new bushings and I'm ready to replace them, so that's why I was asking this now. I'd rather do it all at once if I'm going to do it.
A friend was driving behind me recently and he commented that what ever my axle did- the entire truck did.

Edit: I meant spring bushings. But I also think the body bushings need to be replaced too. l haven't gotten into that yet because I wanted to make sure FJ45 body bushings will work with my modified body.

Last edited:
Hi all,

One idea to consider is removing a leaf from each rear spring pack. For your truck, I'd suggest removing the leaf underneath the one with the spring clips ( 5th leaf from the top of the spring pack.) This will reduce the load rate for the spring pack, and over time may cause some slight spring pack sag (i.e. reduction in suspension height.)

Regards,

Alan

Of course I've already read as much as I can find, but was hoping for some custom advice for my rig. Like everyone else, I would like to soften the ride, but generally want to keep things stock, so any input is welcome.

It is a long wheel base fj45 Arkana conversion (so it began its life as a truck- and has springs designed to hold everything a truck could carry). The rear is built pretty stout and heavy, but I'm not sure It will ever carry as much weight now as it would have as a work truck.

It has six 3/8"-5/16" springs with three 1/2" springs below. Here's a pic
View attachment 1330538
Here's a picture of her (because we all like those) and to judge the weight of the back.
View attachment 1330540
Perhaps I just need new shocks, but I was hoping to get some collective insight as I try to consider any changes/upgrades before jumping right in.
Thanks

Thanks Alan,
That's exactly what I was wondering. If I remove one, which one. It seemed to me that the three lower/thicker ones might be unnecessary considering it won't be doing the kind of heavy hauling as it was built for. For example:
IMG_0109.JPG

oh my! now that's a load!!---and I only see maybe 3-4 inches squat in the rear(mud flap dimensions)

Hi all,,

Like I wrote before:

For your truck, I'd suggest removing the leaf underneath the one with the spring clips ( 5th leaf from the top of the spring pack.) This will reduce the load rate for the spring pack, and over time may cause some slight spring pack sag (i.e. reduction in suspension height.)

Regards,

Alan

Thanks Alan,
That's exactly what I was wondering. If I remove one, which one. It seemed to me that the three lower/thicker ones might be unnecessary considering it won't be doing the kind of heavy hauling as it was built for. For example:View attachment 1333790

Thanks Alan,
That's exactly what I was wondering. If I remove one, which one. It seemed to me that the three lower/thicker ones might be unnecessary considering it won't be doing the kind of heavy hauling as it was built for. For example:View attachment 1333790
Great picture.
Did you ever get around to removing that leaf?
What was the impact?
I have a similarly converted 45 with a similar rough ride - would love to soften it up a bit with an easy fix :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom