Leaf Spring Re-arch or Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1978 needs spring work one way or the other; replace the springs or have them re-arched and re-tempered? I'm trying to keep the project as "all original" as possible. My first idea is to add-a-leaf and have the whole set redone. We have a local spring shop and I have seen some of the work done there and it looks first rate. All perspectives welcome and thanks in advance.

re-arches are temporary and add-a-leafs will make your truck ride like poo. If neither are your concern go for it.

I would replace them. After over 30 years of use not only will they have flattened out some, but also be somewhat compromised with rust and corrosion especially between the leafs. Seems like just getting new springs would be a much better long term solution. But a real good spring shop should be able to check them out and even add a real leaf spring if needed as opposed to those real thick add a leafs that are meant as a real cheap lift option and make the ride very rough.

I added the long add-a-leaf from MAF to my rear packs and the ride is about the same as before. The only real difference I noticed was that the rear does not sit lower than the front now. The MAF AAL's are a little narrower and a little thicker. For ~$50 it was cheap fix.

I had my rears re-arched long ago, they added another leaf at the same time. I was very satisfied and ran them for years before going SOA...oh yeah, I'm still running them.

Thanks for all of the replies, the diversity of ideas is one of the great things about ih8mud, plenty of thoughtful input to choose from.

I've just finished shopping around to decide on the same question. For the extra price of new springs the benefits are well worth buying new. A good spring re-set will cost a fair amount and not necessarily perform as well as new springs. I'd rather not throw good money after bad.

I had a couple of re-arch jobs done years ago. Neither made it a year. Waste of money and effort. The metal was probably too fatigued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom