Leaf spring mount locations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, you may or may not remember me, i only posted a few times after i got my 73 fj40, but it was so rigged up that some of you may still have nightmares about it, i know i do. Anyway, the lift kit put on it was 4" square tubing, but cutting of the mounts in the back only and welding the mounts to the blocks.. as you can see it really suprises me how i havent broken a u-joint due to massively bad pinnion angle yet. i dont drive it tho. anyway, what is the measurement between the two mounts, the front shackle appears to be way over extended.
Im not looking to arch the springs more, when i fix the situation, im gonna put 4" lift springs on, i just want stock locations.. all help is appriciated, heres some pics.. thanx -Adam
DSCN1261.JPG

Yes i know, this guy was a total tard when it came to "modding". like i said, the "lift block" was only added to the back 1/2 of the front springs. so pinnion angle is way bad, and the rear isnt lifted at all, hence the reason i had to rebuild the rear axle, 35" swamper hit the tub, ran the axle completely thru the differential pin and spacer, and snapped 6 lugs off. not to mention break spider gears and severely crack side gears.. had i heard of aussis before hand, i wouldve saved $50 parts VS. locker. anywho... i went to off-road.com (hope i dont get banned for linking) and found these.. but my math is a bit fuzzy, im looking for front spring front to back mount. i guess i gotta get wheelbase and subtract? here the link http://www.off-road.com/tlc/faq/frame.html
Thanks all.

also, i added one pic and it says im almost full on my bandwidth? how does everyone post so many pix? scary that i used to be a moderator at 2 mustang boards built on vb huh?

That is dangerous stuff I thought mine was not veryclean but at least it is TIG welded and plug welded to the frame.
that is ready to crack..........

I know it is pretty damn easy to measure, but you could always fix it the way you would like it. So your front hangers are still intact, good. Chop and grind off that crap with the cheesburger welds and make sure that PO didn't mess up the frame too much. Once your leaf springs are in hand, you can figure out where to mount the rear hanger so that you get a desired shackle angle, and just make sure that the distance you choose is very close/minimal tolerance. You can also probably see where the rivet holes are in the frame and line those up with the rivet holes in the hangers for an stock location. With the s***ty welding, I'm sure he/she didn't clean up the rivet hole too good. There are two on the bottom of the frame and one should be on the outside rail.

for my SOA, my spring mounts are 42" eye to eye. Yours should be the same. Mount your hanger so that your front shackle has some angle on it, such that the shackle at the spring is pushing away from the inside of the spring. Not sure if that makes sense. Somewhere between a 20* - 45* angle is probably good.
Its a little bit more work, and may not be in your Cruisers cards, but this looks to me like a prime candidate for a shackle reversal sine you already have to relocate one set of hangers. You dont have to do a spring over (SOA) to do it either.

For picture posting, I think you are entitled to only a certain amount of pic bandwidth before they would like you to throw down for a membership.

Good luck- looks nasty :)
-Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom