leaf spring lengths (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright so after sitting for awhile i have found some new found energy to work on the 40. I am putting the suspension back underneath and have come up with a debacle.

Are there different lengths for front and rear?
If so which go where?
The individual spring themselves, which end faces front and which to the back as far as lengths from the center pin?

Thanks

Spence

Hi All:

The front 40 Series leaf springs have the spring pin basically centered, while on the rear 40 Series springs the spring pin is off-set from the center, so the spring is split like 40% / 60% (does that make any sense?) The spring is installed with the 60% portion between the axle and the rear crossmember.

Regards,

Alan

Last edited:
Whoooaaaa Alan...

The front and rear springs are the same length and the same offset.

Spence, the long end.... the one with the military wrap mounts to the frame at both ends of the rig. A common mod is to reverse the springs to gain 7-8 inches of wheelbase.

Mark...

i believe the rear spring has 6 leaves and the front has 7 anyhow the front stock springs have 1 more leaf than the rear good luck

These are the pinnacle engineering leaf springs that JT outfitters makes.

You say they are the same length and ofset but then why would you flip the springs to get a longer wheelbase?

I think I have them in the right spot so I will take pictures once they are mounted, ubolt plates and spring hanger pins coming the end of this week. I wanted to get it mocked up and ready to bolt together.

So I just went and checked my springs and the center pin looks to be offset for 2 of the springs and both ends are the same style of wrap, so I do not have the military style wrap!?!? I sent an email to JT Outfitters so hopefully they can shed some light on the situation tomorrow when they get in.

I said that they were the same length and the same offset.... I did not say that they were not offset.

I was speaking of stock springs.... you did not mention that you had aftermarket.... aftermarkets may not have milwraps in some cases... they may have different arches and different leaf configurations between front and rear... and every aftermarket spring will be different. they will still have the same offset as factory springs (or as close as they can depening on the quality of the springs). Stock front springs do have an extra leaf compared to the rear. All bets are off for leaf count on aftermarket springs.

Reversing the springs does not mean swapping front to back.... it means turning the springs around so that the long end is attached to the frame instead of the short end. to do that right you need to remove the second leaf, spin it an additional 180 degrees and replace it... redrilling it for the centerpin. this keeps the milwrap at the frame, not at the shackle where it does little good.

Mark...

Hi All:

Mark, I was speaking of aftermarket replacement 40 Series springs (OME.)

Note that I did not say anything about the length of the front versus rear spring packs, just the offset of the spring pin.

FYI, on OME 40 Series leaf springs the main leaf of the rear spring is longer than the main leaf of the front spring. I am currently running a set of hybrid OME springs (rear leaves mixed with front leaves) under the front axle of my FJ40.

I didn't mention the military wrap because it is not present on all brands of springs.

Regards,

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoooaaaa Alan...

The front and rear springs are the same length and the same offset.

Spence, the long end.... the one with the military wrap mounts to the frame at both ends of the rig. A common mod is to reverse the springs to gain 7-8 inches of wheelbase.

Mark...

Alright so I just got off the phone with Joe(owner) @ Jtoutfitters. This is what he told me:

The longer springs should go in the front with the short end from the center pin on each spring attaching to the fixed(frame) mount.

Does this sound correct? I test fit the springs yesterday and the "longer" springs fit best on the rear, it looked like it held the shackles correctly in the vertical position. I will post up some pictures once I get the rest of the parts in this week.

Spence

since the front and the rears are so close, who knows what an aftermarket builder may have done.
In general, however, the front has a higher spring rate, ( thicker spring pack? ) and if any length difference the longer would be in the rear. Like Mark said, factory is within a 1/4".
Yes, the short side is the fixed end and the long side goes to the shackle.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!! I emailed Kurt @ cruiser outfitters as well and once again he saved the day. I reccommend him to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom