Leaf Spring Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Callahan Offroad

On-Road and Off-Road Racing Enthusist
Threads
Website
www.callahanoffroadandimports
I'm trying to find rear leaf springs for my 86 fj60 and my google skills are completely failing me. I can't afford a lift kit other wise i'd just do that and be done with it. I'm totally open to fj62 springs. The only ones i've been able to find are either used or new outrageous like these:
Toyota Land Cruiser Leaf Springs, Replacement Leaf Spring for Tacoma Land Cruiser

Is that normal for replacement springs to be that high?

Thanks for any help in advance

Pricing

I'm trying to find rear leaf springs for my 86 fj60 and my google skills are completely failing me. I can't afford a lift kit other wise i'd just do that and be done with it. I'm totally open to fj62 springs. The only ones i've been able to find are either used or new outrageous like these:
Toyota Land Cruiser Leaf Springs, Replacement Leaf Spring for Tacoma Land Cruiser

Its a little high. I've been looking at OME (Old Man Emu) dakkar (their new value collection) replacements for my rear, and I'm seeing prices in the 125 to 150 range each, and those are springs with lift.

OEM spring packs for the FJ6x are pricey for some odd reason. Start searching at MAF (Man-a-Fre) and CoolCruisers and the classifieds on this forum and you should get a better idea of price range.

Remember that aftermarket springs can include "hidden" costs like new shackles,greasable pins, bushings, etc. as it makes really no sense to bolt nice new shiny in with old crud encrusted parts. You may find a better deal in getting a whole axle replacement kit that includes all that. If you plan on dong any kind of wheeling, consider replacing your shackles with "anti-inversion" shackles when you swap out. I got normal ones this last time, but for the small additional outlay, it's a preventative to a major PITA if your springs ever get stuck with the shackles up against the body.

Sure that more learned bros' will chime in, but I've been looking into this recently, as my 84 FJ60 has fairly low clearance on the fenders with 32's, so I've been trying to find the cheapest replacement springs if I have to go that route.

Cheers!

Glenn in Tucson

62's on a 60

The springs I just replaced were the OEM 60 springs, and I replaced with a set of pull-offs from a 86 62. They fit fine, but had more leaves that my original set. I gained a whole whopping 3/4" of height, but it did improve my ride (speed bumps no longer sound like I'm trying to bounce a metal garbage can full of iron ingots) but my problem is body clearance.

If your springs are shot, but you can find a set of decent 62 series springs, they should bolt up no problem. Check with your local cruiserheads as its not a hard swap, but its a whole helluva lot easier with some extra hands to help. We did mine in about 3 hours, and most of that was the figuring out how to get the pins and such out on the first side. The second side went much quicker, and I think I could now do both within 2 hours, tops.

Cheers,

Glenn

If you want a little bit more lift than the stock FJ62 springs give you buy some long AAL's. They're really easy to install, and should give you a little more lift.

Ironman springs are pretty cheap. I think they make stock or 1" lift so nothing too high.

Why do you want to replace your rear springs?

I ask because there are other options if you are just trying to correct butt sag. You might want to look at add a leaf or helper springs, these are not the optimum solution but might work until you can afford a better solution such as the OME kits.

I just went through this on my '82 FJ60.
The original stock springs were toast - with the vehicle unloaded they were either flat or a bit on the concave (wrong way) side.

I really didn't want any significant lift, and replacement OEM packs were pricey.

I found someone not too far away with a set of 62 spring packs, as he had moved up to the OME's. Only $150 for all four spring packs and a couple of long Add-A-Leafs. I installed jsut the rear spring packs, with new bushings and U-bolts, and, sadly, new shackles and pins.

World of difference. Roofline is level to maybe a touch higher in the rear. Speedbumps less of an issue. Seems to work fine.

If I ever need a little more height or spring, I can toss in the AAL's,which were not used in this install.

I'd suggest finding shops in your area which do cruiser work, and telling them that you'd like to buy the springs that are left over when some 62 driver comes in to get his OME/Dakar/whatever lift kit.

I just bought an 88 FJ 62 that has a blown bottom end in the engine. I'm using it as a donor vehicle for the 3FE to turn my 2 F into a 2FE. It came with a OME 2-1/2 lift kit in it that I don't need. I'm going to be parting it out and if you guys are in no hurry, it will be available hopefully by the end of Sept. I didn't pay that much for the 62, so I am not expecting top dollar for the lift, I just want to recoup some of my costs. You can see a pic of it on my thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/478976-lubedudes-2fe-into-60-a.html

Dean

Last edited:
Rusty I am in the same boat as fred my rear springs are flat with a slightest downward curve they are done. I am not too keen on a lift maybe an inch at most.

The problem with stock height springs is there is no demand so there is no one building them in enough quantities to get price breaks. A few years ago Man-a-fre was still building stock height sets but sales on them fell to one or two sets a year so they were discontinued. The sales are in lifted springs. Price breaks from the manufacturers start at 50 pieces and get better with larger numbers. 200.00~250.00 a spring, such as you'd get from Alcan or Deaver , is very reasonable for a one set order. There is no discount for less lift since the spring costs are based on weight. The rear 60spring is a big chunk of steel compared to
the front which is why you see the price differences on that site

I figured as much.

I've been so busy with work this summer this is the first time i've had a chance to get back on.

I was trying to not lift my rig if i didn't have to, but if lifting my rig is the only option to get it all fixed up then lifted it shall be.

One of the reasons i want to replace my suspension is my very lovely death wobble problem. Some of the interstates around saint louis are in need of repair, if i hit anything not perfectly smooth over 55mph i get death wobble. It doesn't happen if it's just one little patch, but if there is a large amount of un-even road i can't do over 45. Honestly i'm tired of it.

The rear suspension was my first target just because it pretty much lays flat.

Anywho i guess i'll just get myself a lift kit and replace all the suspension bushings, shocks, springs, u-bolts, shackles etc. My job just ended and i need to drive my cruiser back across kansas to colorado loaded with all my stuff in the next few months while i look for work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom