Leaf Spring Distance Plate- Is it Required? (1 Viewer)

First post here- I am well into a front end rebuild on Bruno my recently aquired FJ62. I searched with no luck. I noticed in the FSM there is supposed to be a "distance plate" between the leaf springs and spring seat on the underside of the leaf springs. This wasn't there when I disassembled the front end.

What is the purpose of this and is it required? I see Spectre has these OEM for $53 or something they call a spring pad for $3. Is this only just a pad to reduce wear on the leaf spring?

Spike Strip

My Butt's Been Wiped
SILVER Star
Do you have aftermarket springs on the truck ?

The plate/pad combo is supposed to reduce road vibration or something like that - they're generally left off if new springs are installed.

I don't have them on mine - I have OME suspension - really couldn't tell any difference, but then again, I like the music loud, the beer cold, and the women to stay home. :D

:rolleyes:

Totally stock set up- stock springs, shackles, spring seat etc... Polyurethane bushings.

I think what you are talking about is the rubber isolator that is only on the back springs. If you are doing an OME suspension, you probably have a couple of donut looking things. Put those on the center spring pins to center the spring pin in the spring perch hole.

Spike Strip

My Butt's Been Wiped
SILVER Star
Sorry for the Hi-jack, but slcfj62, can you PM me payment info (PP) for one of your Ultimate headlight harness for an FJ60, please ?

Thx

Nope- I definitely know the front of my car from the back. I am talking about what the manual shows going underneath the front leaf spring on top of the spring seat.

Spike Strip

My Butt's Been Wiped
SILVER Star
Yes, I know what you're talking about - EPC calls it a distance plate, like you said. Part #48475-60020

It's just a rubber pad. You don't need it. It was probably removed during a previous rebuild 'cuz it was rotted out... If you want it anyway, $50 each from Mr. T

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom