leaf spring alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it critical to have leaf springs parallel? I’m redoing the Saginaw and the shackle reversal installs (previously install by some jackass:flipoff2:) and the spring mount and PS gearbox mount want to be in the same place. If I nudge the spring mount about 3/8” to the side (axel does not move forward or backward), the problem is solved. In other words…the front of the springs will be 24 3/8” apart and the rear of the springs will be 24” apart. As far as I can tell the springs were not parallel to begin with and I did not notice any adverse driving characteristics.
Any ideas?

If the springs are not parallel then when they compress it will pull the axle more to one side. But...since the springs don't normally compress the same amount going over an uneven surface there is always a little pull one way or another. Your biggest issue would probably be excessive spring bushing wear (pins not parallel) and not a handling problem.

i agree with Greg. a little more wear on the bushings. my spring perches on the front axle are about 1/2' too wide. the bushings are torqued a bit, but no handleing problems.

We're not talking about a high precision mechanical systems here. They are built to work pretty well for a long time without breaking. A little tweak will do what Greg says and wear out bushing a little more quickly than normal. You may eventually get some failure due to fatigue because shackles, mounts and springs will be seeing forces in places they wouldn't normally see it. I'm sure you could adjust any minor misalignment out so that the front wheel alignment is good enough for your uses of the vehicle. Can you 'nudge' the rear shackle mount over by the same 3/8". That would reduce the binding of the bushings.

Marc

I can't easily move the shackle mount because the mount is the frame. But while test fitting this idea I loosened the u-blots on the axel which aloud the spring to pivot easily into place. So I’m hoping there might not be to much binding on the bushings...at least driving on flat roads.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom