LCLC HAM Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlestonG8R

Hey y'all!
SILVER Star
Threads
Gents!

I've been discussing another Amateur HAM Operators course with the trainers that work at Boeing. If you are interested in getting your license, PM me your personal email and I'll pass it on to Steve. The course itself doesn't cost you anything, but you'll have to pay for the registration. I believe that fee is $12, so it's pretty inexpensive. Radios are also pretty inexpensive (unless you want to go nuts and build a mobile communication station) and the range and clarity far exceeds that of the CB's we generally use on the trails.

When I took the class, it was all day on Saturday (reviewing the test material) and most of the day Sunday (one last run through the material and then taking the test). They need 10 folks in order to hold the class, I'm not sure how many are already set to take it.

I need to take mine, see if you can get any dates, maybe before September (Logan's Run)

This sounds great. I am definitely interested.

Trying to... But we have to get numbers before we can set a date. If we have, say, 5 people interested, we can work on a date. :cheers: I was planning to give him our calendar and ask if we can avoid those weekends.

I am interested also... Work schedule permitting. I will send you some known travel dates I have that are work related.

I am interested also... Work schedule permitting. I will send you some known travel dates I have that are work related.
PM received, sir! Okay, so that's 3... @Beau Diddly , you still interested? Anyone else?

Got your PM, Scott. Will keep everyone informed.

I will start working on Steve. He ought to have other folks lined up as well.

If it is permissible, Gman said that he would like to take the class also.

image.jpeg

Incentive arrived today. Time to read up on features and benefits. And then get registered.

Incentive arrived today. Time to read up on features and benefits. And then get registered.
It would have been nice if we had them this past weekend. I plan on attending the class too, keep us posted Jeremy. Did you find any useful info on choosing the right one for our application?

It would have been nice if we had them this past weekend. I plan on attending the class too, keep us posted Jeremy. Did you find any useful info on choosing the right one for our application?

I read some reviews on Amazon about software releases, and then spoke to Jeremy. He suggested the 8W and that is why I went with the Baofeng 8W handlheld. 8W = more power, longer range.

I chose the HH vs a permanent mount so that I could use them for other applications also: family travel, hiking, cycling, etc.

I also ordered the yellow HH - I thought higher visibility might be better. I wish these were a more ruggedized/ militarized quality, but they do have an oversized battery for extended use. I also order the 16"antenna - but I do not know if that will be a benefit or challenge (for storage).

So 8W gives us plenty of range and clarity. One of the requirements of being a responsible HAM radio operator is that you don't use more power than you need. With 5W, I could clearly hear Johnny and Rice from clear across the park at Uwharrie. 8W may even allow us to hear each other from Base Camp at Uwharrie, so should be plenty. In addition to the radio, I bought a magnetic antenna to put on my roof and this provided even better range (I think it was $10?).

Ironically, just as I began gathering names for the class, Steve went out on 2 weeks of vacation! I'll hook up with him next week and see what we can do to get everyone trained up. Erik, bring the G-Man along, the more the merrier. Steve handles emergency communication for Boeing, so he is very passionate about HAM and is eager to have more technicians in the area (and happy to help retrofit someone's vehicle with whatever mobile communication equipment you want to buy).

So 8W gives us plenty of range and clarity. One of the requirements of being a responsible HAM radio operator is that you don't use more power than you need. With 5W, I could clearly hear Johnny and Rice from clear across the park at Uwharrie. 8W may even allow us to hear each other from Base Camp at Uwharrie, so should be plenty. In addition to the radio, I bought a magnetic antenna to put on my roof and this provided even better range (I think it was $10?).

One small clarification. Wattage, in combination with a good antenna, increases your transmit range only. The ability to hear others is more a factor of the other's transmit power and antenna design. Admittedly most of the time I use my mobile on 50w because I don't know how far away people are.

At the Relic Run for example, there were some times when I couldn't hear the handheld operators through the forest. There was never a time I can remember when I couldn't hear another mobile operator through the forest though.

One small clarification. Wattage, in combination with a good antenna, increases your transmit range only. The ability to hear others is more a factor of the other's transmit power and antenna design. Admittedly most of the time I use my mobile on 50w because I don't know how far away people are.

At the Relic Run for example, there were some times when I couldn't hear the handheld operators through the forest. There was never a time I can remember when I couldn't hear another mobile operator through the forest though.
50W? I thought you had a Baofeng handheld as well?

50W? I thought you had a Baofeng handheld as well?

I do, but I only use it when spotting people, or I hand it out to someone else in my group to use. Trail lead / gunner kind of thing.

I have a Yaesu FTM-350R mobile radio in my truck that's got a max of 50w transmit power. When you were riding in moonshine with Tim, remember that blue screen that was to the right of the transmission shifter? That's the Yaesu!

I do, but I only use it when spotting people, or I hand it out to someone else in my group to use. Trail lead / gunner kind of thing.

I have a Yaesu FTM-350R mobile radio in my truck that's got a max of 50w transmit power. When you were riding in moonshine with Tim, remember that blue screen that was to the right of the transmission shifter? That's the Yaesu!
Admittedly, I was having more fun enjoying the far smoother and quieter ride than I was expecting than noticing all of the fancy gadgets on the dashboard... I never did mention to you, I expected a very harsh and loud ride given the diesel engine and oversized tires. Didn't happen and I was very pleasantly surprised. Finally, a Moonshine that I can stomach!

I didn't notice the radio setup, though... But now I'm wondering if I would've gotten a signal from you and Rice if y'all had had handhelds. I think Rice also runs a Yaesu. Either way, the handhelds are a big upgrade from CB.

Either way, the handhelds are a big upgrade from CB.

I think Rice has a handheld Yaeso FWIW. Quote above is SPOT ON though!! Maybe someday we can get everyone to ditch CBs and move to HAMs exclusively :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom