Events/Trails LCDC 6 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Costco has a great deal on portable propane fire pits right now... They radiate heat reallywell once the pumice rocks heat up.
I keep trying to shed weight from my trailer and you keep giving me great ways to add it back!

I keep trying to shed weight from my trailer and you keep giving me great ways to add it back!

Hey... Ya, I have one specifically for fire restricted camping... Of course right after I bought one, Costco started selling them... :)

Hey... Ya, I have one specifically for fire restricted camping... Of course right after I bought one, Costco started selling them... :)

If they are in stage 2 when that times comes I guess e could hit up the Costco in FC. At least that way I would only have to carry it one way. 🎒🐀

Alright. All signed up and planning. Read through the posts and didnt see that the list of trails and other details have been sent out. Not a concern just making sure I am not missing anything. Comms...Im not HAM licensed yet but working in it. Ill have one in the Ghost to listen at the least. Not sure Ill get a different radio to transmit. Being late to the party and bringing a buddy for the ride, im looking at staying at The Fort Collins Marriott. Open to any and all suggestions. Oh and driving in from Houston to be there Wednesday if anyone is looking to convoy up. Would be happy to try and mesh schedules or at the least give contact info in case of emergency for the drive.

Last edited:
First time LCDC attendee here, very much looking forward to it.
We wont be camping so is there any area around Fort Collins to stay that would work particularly good or bad for this event?
I don't want stay too far from the trails. Or is FC small enough that it really doesn't matter?

We wont be camping so is there any area around Fort Collins to stay that would work particularly good or bad for this event?
I don't want stay too far from the trails. Or is FC small enough that it really doesn't matter?

The trails are a bit of a commute in any direction so I don't think it'll matter too much.

Alright. All signed up and planning. Read through the posts and didnt see that the list of trails and other details have been sent out. Not a concern just making sure I am not missing anything. Comms...Im not HAM licensed yet but working in it. Ill have one in the Ghost to listen at the least. Not sure Ill get a different radio to transmit. Being late to the party and bringing a buddy for the ride, im looking at staying at The Fort Collins Marriott. Open to any and all suggestions. Oh and driving in from Houston to be there Wednesday if anyone is looking to convoy up. Would be happy to try and mesh schedules or at the least give contact info in case of emergency for the drive.
Marriott is fine but if you want to be downtown and take in all the bars and scenery I recommend the Elizabeth which is also owned by Marriott. A couple folks coming from Houston/TX maybe they’ll chime in. We haven’t trail info yet. But will soon

I recommend staying in the downtown area. The Elizabeth is my recommendation.

Just got the HAM Technician exam out of the way. I will now be able to communicate on the trails with a HAM radio. I have reservations at both the Hilton and The Elizabeth in FC for the wife and myself. Most likely will cancel the Hilton and stay at The Elizabeth because it seems closer to the things of interest. Our plan is to be going unless something major changes.

Just got the HAM Technician exam out of the way. I will now be able to communicate on the trails with a HAM radio. I have reservations at both the Hilton and The Elizabeth in FC for the wife and myself. Most likely will cancel the Hilton and stay at The Elizabeth because it seems closer to the things of interest. Our plan is to be going unless something major changes.
I just finally took the Technician test as well. Only took a few evenings of studying with free apps. If you haven't done it yet, give it a shot. It really takes minimal preparation and the license is good for 10 years before you need to renew.

I just finally took the Technician test as well. Only took a few evenings of studying with free apps. If you haven't done it yet, give it a shot. It really takes minimal preparation and the license is good for 10 years before you need to renew.
The test is not hard and easy to study for with free app on the phone. This web page is also very good HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools. I took the test in an online test session.

thanks for the link

Never been easier to take the exam, looks like you can do it from home as RobW0 said

HamStudy.org: How do I get licensed?

and here are some study guides

Links

Geez you could almost record the answers as you take the practice tests rather than having to do it from memory

Nicely done!

To me, the more error prone parts of the test have to do with small numerical tweaks the answer choices often present. It’s hard to memorize raw numbers when the details that subtly change them aren’t fully understood.

I highly recommend the phone app from hamstudy.org as it lets you go through the question pool as practice....also offering explanation of the answers as an option with each Q.

Here is the iOS link to it:

When I took my test not so long ago... I passed my technician—and the guy who graded suggested I may as well take a shot at the General class text while I was there...so I did...and passed it as well. Honestly think I got lucky on some W’s but passed both the same day.

thanks for the link

Never been easier to take the exam, looks like you can do it from home as RobW0 said

HamStudy.org: How do I get licensed?

and here are some study guides

Links

Geez you could almost record the answers as you take the practice tests rather than having to do it from memory

My son-in law looked into this. Yes you can take it from home, but they want a web cam to make sure you are not using notes

When I took my test not so long ago... I passed my technician—and the guy who graded suggested I may as well take a shot at the General class text while I was there...so I did...and passed it as well. Honestly think I got lucky on some W’s but passed both the same day.

I had a similar situation with killing the Tech so was suggested to take the General... but didn't turn out so well. Bombed the general! Did not know or understand anything with the numbers and what not on the General questions.

My son-in law looked into this. Yes you can take it from home, but they want a web cam to make sure you are not using notes
It is done over zoom and you have to show all around the room you are taking it in. There are about 4 proctors that are on line with you and they all are asked if they are satisfied with your room. You have to share your desktop with them and then while you are taking the test they mute their video and audio until you have a question or click grade the exam. It was not a big deal. I used the grandkid's toy room in the house. They asked if I wanted to take the General exam after I finished and passed the Tech, but I said no. I guess a lot of people are doing the Amateur Extra right now, because the questions are changing on July 1st for that exam.

I have a tire pressure question for an event such as this. I am use to 8 psi in bead locks when off roading but this being more tame trails what do you guys air down to or do you even need to air down? I am asking before hand so I can decide if I should bring my portable Warn compressor for airing back up. As far as the trail difficulty for my 200, it will have the front spacers, rear OME 2721 springs and sliders. I am on a stock wheels and new Toyo OC AT's.

I have a tire pressure question for an event such as this. I am use to 8 psi in bead locks when off roading but this being more tame trails what do you guys air down to or do you even need to air down? I am asking before hand so I can decide if I should bring my portable Warn compressor for airing back up. As far as the trail difficulty for my 200, it will have the front spacers, rear OME 2721 springs and sliders. I am on a stock wheels and new Toyo OC AT's.

I air down to 16 for these types of events. It just makes the ride that much more enjoyable, even if you really don't need it for traction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom