LC80 Cool/Ice box work flow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear LC80 gurus
I have an LC80, diesel version with 1HZ engine.
I would like to retrofit an Icebox to replace center console, I recently purchased an Ice box already and I have a question about how system works:

As you may see from the diagram below, as long as we turn the A/C on, there is always a refrigerant flow through Cool/Ice box (red arrow)?
If so, what is the purpose of the OFF button?
If not, how is the cold/ice box works, what happen if I turn A/C ON and cold/Ice box OFF?
What is the different between Ice and Cool?

1631812524211.png

I also attach the Cool/Ice box controller for your information.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

1631813072762.png

Yes, freon always flow through in cooler box (engineering mistake) while front AC is ON.

OFF button, turns off cooler box fan motor, also activating compressor separately from front AC button

ICE button, turns on the fan timer to run longer for freezing the evaporator to make you nice ice cubes 🍦

COOL(😎?) button, turns on the fan timer to run shorter ( if I remember correct 30s work 2m off) just to keep things cold

Yes, freon always flow through in cooler box (engineering mistake) while front AC is ON.

OFF button, turns off cooler box fan motor, also activating compressor separately from front AC button

ICE button, turns on the fan timer to run longer for freezing the evaporator to make you nice ice cubes 🍦

COOL(😎?) button, turns on the fan timer to run shorter ( if I remember correct 30s work 2m off) just to keep things cold
Thanks for your reply, I am really appreciate.
According to freon flow diagram, it is looks to me that the freon will flow through in cooler box as long as the compressor working ( front AND/OR rear AC is ON), please correct me if I am wrong.
And what will happen with the evaporator of the cool box when it OFF and A/C ON?
It is like this?
" The freon flow, evaporator be come freeze very fast, the expansion valve close, the evaporator slowly become "warmer", the expansion valve open, make evaporator freeze again... go on ... and go on..."
It make Toyota a bit crazy :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for your reply, I am really appreciate.
According to freon flow diagram, it is looks to me that the freon will flow through in cooler box as long as the compressor working ( front AND/OR rear AC is ON), please correct me if I am wrong.
And what will happen with the evaporator of the cool box when it OFF and A/C ON?
It is like this?
" The freon flow, evaporator be come freeze very fast, the expansion valve close, the evaporator slowly become "warmer", the expansion valve open, make evaporator freeze again... go on ... and go on..."
1: If compressor is off there will be no flow in cool box, but it will be under pressure as all system, so don't disconnect it without evacuating freon🤤if front AC will be ON but cool box OFF, there still will be flow inside evaporator of cool box

2: there is magnetic valve underhood that control flow to cool box and front AC together, so if your Rear AC is working but you don't use front or cool box, there is will be no flow though their evaporators. Rear AC have his own magnetic valve too and expansion valve

Ideally it should be like this, but in practice it doesn't work, or did work 20+ years ago. I noticed one bug when I was doing upgrading my cool box, the expansion valve sensor bulb was not connected properly, so the expansion valve was open to full capacity(?), I bet, Denso assembling stuff didn't know all the nuances

Thankyou Vasiliy
My rig is 1993 LC80 with right hand and do not have rear A/C. It is looks to me that I have to do some custom wiring for Cool box. That's reason why I want to know how system works to make sure I don't mess it up :D:D:D

And Yes, you absolutely right about expansion valve sensor bulb, I just run down to garage to have a look at it and it really connect/touch to nothing.

1632074051787.png

One more question.
You said front A/C connected with Cool box. Then what happened if cool box ON and front A/C OFF with fan ON?

Thankyou Vasiliy
My rig is 1993 LC80 with right hand and do not have rear A/C. It is looks to me that I have to do some custom wiring for Cool box. That's reason why I want to know how system works to make sure I don't mess it up :D:D:D

And Yes, you absolutely right about expansion valve sensor bulb, I just run down to garage to have a look at it and it really connect/touch to nothing.

View attachment 2790588

One more question.
You said front A/C connected with Cool box. Then what happened if cool box ON and front A/C OFF with fan ON?
Cool box will run compressor on his own request when it needs.
Your rig is right hand so you should have all wiring for cool box

It is clear to me now!
Thanks Vasiliy, for your valuable information. I am now much more confident to retro Cool box to my car.

Dear LC80 gurus
I have an LC80, diesel version with 1HZ engine.
I would like to retrofit an Icebox to replace center console, I recently purchased an Ice box already and I have a question about how system works:

As you may see from the diagram below, as long as we turn the A/C on, there is always a refrigerant flow through Cool/Ice box (red arrow)?
SNIP

View attachment 2787794

I also attach the Cool/Ice box controller for your information.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

View attachment 2787801

Unfortunately, the center icebox was not offered as an option for US-spec 80 series, so there are few here with direct experience. I use to work in a heavy truck gaarage and with refrigeration units, so I'll take a stab at something I have never seen.

Looking at your first diagram, you can see the magnetic valves that control the flow to front and rear AC. Depending on which choices you make from running that and the option you choose for the icebox control, that is what controls the flow to the various components. The AC compressor always has to run when doing either AC or icebox, but if you don't turn the AC on, then the valve will stay closed and all the cooling will go to the icebox. If you don't run the ice box, the expansion valve doesn't allow the cooling through and it will then only be available to flow to the the AC units selected. Or everything can be turned on and then the signal to the valves can modulate the flow of the whole system to achieve desired results as we'll see next.

The second electrical diagram has the Cooler/Ice Box Switch. Directly under its middle is a "fork" in the circut coming out of the switch with some sort of switches in line below the switch as the grounded side of the circuit continues to Terminal 10 of the amplifier. I suspect they have something to do with limiting the coolant flow to the AC units when the icebox is dialed to the Ice setting in order to achieve a quick freeze and lower holding temp. These may connect with the magnetic valves in the front and rear AC lines, which you could verify by inspecting your harnesses and connectors.

Not sure I got that entirely exactly right, but hopes this helps some.

Unfortunately, the center icebox was not offered as an option for US-spec 80 series, so there are few here with direct experience. I use to work in a heavy truck gaarage and with refrigeration units, so I'll take a stab at something I have never seen.

Looking at your first diagram, you can see the magnetic valves that control the flow to front and rear AC. Depending on which choices you make from running that and the option you choose for the icebox control, that is what controls the flow to the various components. The AC compressor always has to run when doing either AC or icebox, but if you don't turn the AC on, then the valve will stay closed and all the cooling will go to the icebox. If you don't run the ice box, the expansion valve doesn't allow the cooling through and it will then only be available to flow to the the AC units selected. Or everything can be turned on and then the signal to the valves can modulate the flow of the whole system to achieve desired results as we'll see next.

The second electrical diagram has the Cooler/Ice Box Switch. Directly under its middle is a "fork" in the circut coming out of the switch with some sort of switches in line below the switch as the grounded side of the circuit continues to Terminal 10 of the amplifier. I suspect they have something to do with limiting the coolant flow to the AC units when the icebox is dialed to the Ice setting in order to achieve a quick freeze and lower holding temp. These may connect with the magnetic valves in the front and rear AC lines, which you could verify by inspecting your harnesses and connectors.

Not sure I got that entirely exactly right, but hopes this helps some.
Thanks Greentruck, it is really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom