LC200 new owner and new member (former 80 series owner) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have toured for 16 years Alaska, Canada, Western US, and Baja., using a 2002 Duramax with either a Bigfoot camper or Bigfoot trailer. All the while my 1996 LX450 sat in the driveway. Sold it 5 years ago with 112,000 miles...original owner. My stupidity is now painfully apparent.

I have corrected my course...sold truck and trailer. Purchased a stock 2017 LC with 39,000 miles. Wow, an amazing vehicle. The technology is staggering for an old guy who drove a 1996 and 2002 vehicles for 16 years. I plan to tent camp this summer while I decide on the level of off road upgrades. First, I need to learn her capabilities, hence Moab Jeep Week and Cruise Moab...easy trails!
I have many questions for this forum. First, a simple one. I would like to put a batwing awning on the stock roof rails. A local truck accessory store said I must either buy upgraded cross bars or install a complete Rhino Rack roof rack system...rails, tray or platform. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. ..looking forward to this forum.

Welcome. Yup, quite the change from ‘96/‘02 to ‘17! Can’t help with the rack question. I carry boats on mine with a combination of Thule and Yakima parts. Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the group!

Four season camper to a tent? I can't help with the awning, but the LC has a sizable towing capacity for an SUV, you can go back to a trailer after sleeping on the ground. :)

You are probably right. I spent many a cold snowy night in our Bigfoot watching others freeze. Ground sleeping will be an adjustment but an athelitic 70 year old hesitates about a roof top tent. Towing presents other limitations. We shall see.

It's possible to sleep inside your cruiser with the 3rd row seats removed, both front seats pushed up all the way, and 2nd row folded. (In my case, moving the junk that normally resides in the cargo area to the driver or passenger seat). Better than sleeping on the ground!

Last edited:
Something like this can be used to open a window for ventilation, and still keep bugs out.

Yes, I have been planning to remove the third row seats this week. ( I stored my 80 series LC seats for 16 years in a closet). I like the option of having a gazelle pop up tent or sleeping in the LC. The window screen is a great option. Thanks

Depending on how tall you are and whether they will be needed for other things, second row removal can add a lot of length to the flat sleeping area in back. Gets you about 7 feet from the closed tailgate to the back of the front seat. Plus makes getting in and out through the rear passenger doors much easier. You'll need to add a resistor to the airbag harness to avoid a light on the dash though.

I remove mine for trips.. but as a caution the 2/3 side is very heavy and awkward to handle.

Also if you sleep inside Cruiser Outfitters sells a kit to add an OEM Toyota button to your liftgate so it can be opened from the inside. Your late model truck might have a button on the fob (I don't know) but my 13 and the earlier ones generally have to use the side doors without the added switch.

Can you give me a link or part number for the resistor. Thx

congrats. This may help you along. 100, 200, doesn't much matter in this case.

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I think a bat wing awning would have to be mounted fairly high up on the 200 so it won't interfere with the spoiler when the rear hatch is open.

Awning ideas:

DIY cross bars.
And.

Or just add Thule or Yakima mounts/bars, both available for very little second hand on Craigslist and an awning mount.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom