LC100 HDJ100 2003 - Cranking strong but not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear All,

Firstly, I must admit I have used this website (since I got my truck) extensively and have been mega helpful for last two years. So thank you all for all the help!

But I think this time I am a bit stuck and need help! So here is the problem.

I recently moved house and left my truck on the drive for a month. I went to move it inside the garage before the winter but both batteries were flat. I tried to jump start the car but no luck. I tried to jump start the car with heavy duty jump leads and this time on the primary battery. After connecting the leads, 5 seconds later I realised I have fudged up!! :oops::oops: connected the battery the wrong way round. No excuses, just simply embarrassing! Straight away I knew I have blown a big fuse some where as the dash won't come on. The 50A fusible link had melted. No surprises there. I replaced the fusible link unit. and checked all the fuses. Couple of fuses in the engine compartment fuse box had perished as well and now replaced. Luckily no burning wire smell!

I also replaced both batteries as one of them had dead cell in it and the other one was old.

The problem now is the car will crank strongly but won't start. No engine management light. Upon trying to connect to snap on OBD, no communication. Checked both ECU fuse and relay, they are fine and functioning. Bench tested both and in vehicle getting power. I have not checked the other two fuse boxes inside the cabin, as I don't see any fuses there that might affect the power supply to ECU. I am going to look sanity check these tonight and tomorrow morning.

Will anyone suggest which other fuses should I look into or any suggestions on how to solve this problem before I go into dealer and make a whole in my bank account.

I am a newbie here and deserve some stick for jumping the battery wrong way round but please take it easy on me. I have had enough grief from my wife and rightfully so. :)

Any constructive feedback will be massively appreciated. :)

Cheerio

Just an update.
Good news. She is up and running!

Got hold of the electrical wiring diagram and after just a couple of fault finding it turned out to be the ignition fuse in by the kick panel on driver side. The fuse was a 7.5A labelled as IGN next to another one labelled as MET.

Worth checking this if ever get a strong crank and no start. I know its only a changing fuse but its pretty well hidden under the steering kick panel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom