LC100 cost of rebuilding engine w/high mileage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am seeing a more and more trucks in those years with over 200K mileage. I am seeing many classifieds where trucks are lifted with nice tires and possibly front bumpers but high mileage. Say I decide to buy LC100 with high miles but is lifted with tires and bumpers, if and when the time the comes, I am wondering what the cost comparison of rebuilding the 4.7L engine vs buying another engine with low miles. Also what does that do to the title of the car? does it deem it to be salvage or rebuild?

I am seeing a more and more trucks in those years with over 200K mileage. I am seeing many classifieds where trucks are lifted with nice tires and possibly front bumpers but high mileage. Say I decide to buy LC100 with high miles but is lifted with tires and bumpers, if and when the time the comes, I am wondering what the cost comparison of rebuilding the 4.7L engine vs buying another engine with low miles. Also what does that do to the title of the car? does it deem it to be salvage or rebuild?

I'm not sure what "lifted with nice tires and possibly front bumpers" has to do with the engine. It will be cheaper to put a new (to you) engine in vs rebuilding the existing one. Toyota made a boatload of 2UZ-FE engines. It has no effect on the title of the car.

I believe what OP is asking is would the cost of an engine rebuild/replacement be cost prohibitive to the point he would be better off hunting down a low mileage blank slate or would a built-ish 100 with that may need an engine rebuild in 100-200k miles be worth taking on. Reasonable question I would say as I too took the anticipated life cost of my 100 into account before deciding to buy/build it.

I don't know about cost of an engine rebuild/replacement but I would say if the maintenance records are good and that is continued then there is no reason you should see another 100-200k easy out of the motor. On the subject of value of the car and title status I would say check with your local DMV as I know all states are different and it can vary wildly.

Looking back I would buy the lowest mileage truck I could afford. High dollar repairs multiply with miles driven. An engine with good service records would most likely outlast other components.

I saw a local '00 LC on craigslist with 435,000 miles this week. Original engine still going strong. $3000.

Last edited:
IMO- other things will fail long before the engine. These 2uz-fe iron block motors can last a long time with proper care & maintanence intervals. 300k would be a reasonable expectation. There are several posting here with more than 300k.

$1k for a lower mileage 4.7 V8 and maybe 20-25 hours of shop time swapping it out. So, maybe $3.5-$4k.

$1k for a lower mileage 4.7 V8 and maybe 20-25 hours of shop time swapping it out. So, maybe $3.5-$4k.

That many hours for a swap? I guess it would depend on how much needed to be swapped onto motor going in. I'd guess 25-30 hours for a tear down and rebuild plus parts & machining. It would be much more cost effective to buy a re-man or used engine.

Miles don't concern me with most Toyota engines. How it was used and maintenance are the variables I'd be most concerned with. I have a 4runner with 340k miles and a 100 with 165k miles. Both run strong.

I believe what OP is asking is would the cost of an engine rebuild/replacement be cost prohibitive to the point he would be better off hunting down a low mileage blank slate or would a built-ish 100 with that may need an engine rebuild in 100-200k miles be worth taking on. Reasonable question I would say as I too took the anticipated life cost of my 100 into account before deciding to buy/build it.

I don't know about cost of an engine rebuild/replacement but I would say if the maintenance records are good and that is continued then there is no reason you should see another 100-200k easy out of the motor. On the subject of value of the car and title status I would say check with your local DMV as I know all states are different and it can vary wildly.
Thanks. Makes sense. I am seeing more LC100 with 260-280K being dumped on CL every now and then and some are built-ish as you say (lifts, 33s, ARB bumper etc.).

I'm not sure what "lifted with nice tires and possibly front bumpers" has to do with the engine. It will be cheaper to put a new (to you) engine in vs rebuilding the existing one. Toyota made a boatload of 2UZ-FE engines. It has no effect on the title of the car.
the usual out there I am seeing a combo of 2.5" OME, 33s, and ARB front or rear bumper.

So when I see a used engine w/relatively low miles like this on ebay, provided this is the avg price of used but decent 4.7 L v8 engines out there (is it ?), it is tempting to overlook the high miles on a built LC100 for sale.

you can buy a used lower mile motor on ebay cheaply. $1k with shipping is totally doable.

My opinion would be as long as you can track the maintenance back and the truck has been cared for then I wouldn't hesitate buying a higher mileage as long as the price was right, especially if it was going to primarily be a weekend toy. If you plan on using it as a DD and trying some longer distance overland trips I would pay the extra money for lower miles and build it like you want to but either way maintenance records, maintenance records, maintenance records. As long as it has been take care of then I don't think you will have any engine problems.

My opinion would be as long as you can track the maintenance back and the truck has been cared for then I wouldn't hesitate buying a higher mileage as long as the price was right, especially if it was going to primarily be a weekend toy. If you plan on using it as a DD and trying some longer distance overland trips I would pay the extra money for lower miles and build it like you want to but either way maintenance records, maintenance records, maintenance records. As long as it has been take care of then I don't think you will have any engine problems.

Agree, the price difference has to be right to justify buying the high mileage car.

From reading around here, and other forum, I have not seen the 4.7L v8 engine that have catastrophic failure if it has been maintained decently. I think mine should reach 300K easily, currently at 220K. Ours is the primary car, dd and we take it for long distance trip without worries.

I have seen a few cases that the heater T blows up and cause the engine to overheat and kill itself, but imo that is not engine problem. As far as high ticket item, I am more concerned with the failure in master brake system.

Purchased @ 246k with supposed TB broken and overheated. The truck cost me less than $2k and a rebuild of $1,800, granted that was myself doing all the work. Truck now, doesn't skip a beat and is still going. I purchased the cheapest one will the most problems and still got a hell of a deal.

just my $.02, I wouldn't be worried.

I guess I'm confused... Where are you guys seeing 300k as some threshold? I honestly can't remember the last (or any, really) mention of someone doing a teardown/swap that was "wear related" and not due to catastrophic cooling system failure, etc. In other words, I'm not convinced we've seen any compelling data regarding the end of the usable service life of these engines, and the '98 models should on average be nearing 300k, or over. Engine rebuild is not even remotely on my radar at 250K.

Old neighbor a couple blocks down from me has a '00 Tundra with 530k, just regular maintenance and a suspension rebuild at 300k. These engines last forever if maintained right, no need to be concerned about high miles unless the engine was abused.

I guess I'm confused... Where are you guys seeing 300k as some threshold? I honestly can't remember the last (or any, really) mention of someone doing a teardown/swap that was "wear related" and not due to catastrophic cooling system failure, etc. In other words, I'm not convinced we've seen any compelling data regarding the end of the usable service life of these engines, and the '98 models should on average be nearing 300k, or over. Engine rebuild is not even remotely on my radar at 250K.

I do not think 300K is a threshold - sorry if my post may sounds like that. Personally, I am targeting 300K because for us, we do ~10K/year. Currently our 98 is at 220K, so that is 7-8 more year from now, and we most likely do not keep the LC past that. Not because it will quit working, but because we most likely buy a newer 100 or maybe a 200 or 300 :)

I agree, who knows when is the usable service life for these engines.

Agree. I am thinking the 4.7 will outlast nearly everything else mechanical on the truck. Before I owned a 100 series, I met a dude in NC that had > 800k miles on his. He said it was original engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom