LC100 - body repair suggestions (windshield shattered by tree branch) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
So, my ‘07 was parked in my driveway and took a pretty bad blow from a rotten branch from my neighbor’s tree… Windshield shattered, roof severely banged up, etc. But it could’ve been worse.

Unfortunately, my neighbor isn’t being a great neighbor (nor did he have homeowners insurance - long story, besides the point). I’m having to go through my insurance company for repairs… Aftermarket windshield - ugh. It is what it is.

Luckily I’m in the right business… After tearing the truck down, it looks like the PO might have had the windshield replaced once or twice. The A pillars, where the windshield moldings rivet in, have two holes on the right side and wallowed out holes on the left. The moldings were loose and pulled right out.

There’s some rust around the holes. Not terrible, but enough for my TLC-OCD to seriously kick in.

I think I’m going to treat the rust with MarHyde One Step. I have it in a spray can, so I’m planning on spraying inside the pillars with a 360 wand to lock up any rust that has developed within the post.

Then I’m going to weld all the holes on each side and attempt to recreate them before paint…

Looks like the OEM rivets are 4mm?

I know that drilling through the welds is going to be tough, but I’d rather try that before having to make new holes through the new moldings and into the pillars.

Should I use a 4mm bit? Also, I guess I have to account for paint build up around the new holes… If anyone has done this repair, any advice would be great.

Thanks all!

Will send pics of pillars when I get to the shop tomorrow…
C3119D65-07C2-40CA-85BA-9DD6DDF4882A.jpeg

Should I use a 4mm bit?

Not if you have to purchase one ;).

Looks like 5/32" is very close - you might drill a test hole in scrap metal, and see how well the rivet slides in.

Thanks for the photos - I'll bet that most of our trucks look like that when you remove the molding.

Should I use a 4mm bit?

Not if you have to purchase one ;).

Looks like 5/32" is very close - you might drill a test hole in scrap metal, and see how well the rivet slides in.

Thanks for the photos - I'll bet that most of our trucks look like that when you remove the molding.
Got a 4mm HSS bit off the Snap-On truck, now into the paint shop. Used old moldings as a template. Praying the glass company sets the windshield far enough back, and everything lines up smoothly. I’ll be watching them with hawk eyes. Hope to be back in business next week, if all goes well 🥴.

Thanks again for the response!

078067F4-C826-44AB-9A8D-6D4DC486C14A.jpeg

18A114D5-686C-47E7-AFBB-D79EEDF3C74F.jpeg

CB338A14-2415-4A93-B6E0-AB8A41DD58A3.jpeg

0AB4BF15-122A-4DBC-B28B-C332D920CB55.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom