LC vs LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1998 LC and a 2006 LC.
Here are my thoughts.

More truck like ride
Interior is more manly
Don’t mind taking it off road since it cost less
I like it more than the 2006
It’s mine

Ahc is great, rides like a luxury vehicle
More power and 5 speed is nice on the highway
City driving not much difference between the 1998 re power and 4 speed
Seems less noisy than the 1998 maybe Toyota added some sound deadening material?
Too nice to take off-road
ATRAC stability & traction control system works as good or better than my 2016 GMC 4x4 pick up
It is my wifes DD

For daily driving the All Trac system on the 2006 is really the most significant difference. Worth having anywhere there is snow like say Canada or Colorado.

Off road with rear locker engaged on the 1998 is sure nice when climbing in 4lo. As the old saying goes better to have a locker and not need it than to need a locker and not have it.

Final word.
If your off roading is fire roads and back country camping and exploring go with the nicest LC you can find that has ATRAC.

LX are more likely to be mall cruisers serviced at dealer all their life... and lived an easy life.

This is what I based my hunt on, 1 owner california car with dealer maintenance all its life. Once I found it, I pounced on it....

good luck, you are more likely to find an LX and I fell in love with AHC... love that instant lift button and back to normal height for regular driving.

You're evading the question. What was your source for 52% / 48%?
You've called me out before on my sources and you were wrong.

My sources are Toyota and Lexus USA. What are yours?... and don't evade the question.

52% of all US 100's sold were LX's
48% of all US 100's sold were LC's

So not really a huge difference in sales numbers. Most "Luxury" branded vehicles have lower resale value due to the perceived (or real) cost of maintenance, especially in their later years.

I think something more important than 'total' numbers sold would be 'distribution' of each. While I don't have 'proof', logic dictates that most of these vehicles would have been sold in Cities/States where the affluent could afford them, as opposed to say 'rural America' who's income and needs might be different.

And then you have to consider the 'Trends/Fashion/Status' of the times. It is strictly anecdotal (just what I have observed) but in the Texas Metropolises I've been to, I see FAR more LX470's than Land Cruisers. Since that is where I did my vehicle shopping...naturally I had more LX's to look at.

It would be interesting to know State by State how both vehicles compared in demand over their production years. THAT would be telling. The fact that both were produced in about the same numbers doesn't mean you can FIND them in equal amounts.

My preference would have been for a Land Cruiser (I like the front end MUCH better) but it was impossible for me to ignore the 470's for sale that had fewer miles, better maintenance records and cost less ($2000.00 or more).

Now you're missing two sources.

Do you just have a Burr up your A$$? Who cares the exact numbers, why clutter the thread with pointless arguing. Go to chat if you want that. ;)

Do you just have a Burr up your A$$? Who cares the exact numbers, why clutter the thread with pointless arguing. Go to chat if you want that. ;)

That's an absurd response. Accuracy matters on a forum like this. Good forums care about accuracy. Someone posted data. Asking them for a source is a perfectly reasonable request and a critical element of having a quality accurate forum.

The point is that more LXs were sold vs. LCs as a factor in availability which I don’t think anyone would argue against. Based on the sales number table provided, the percentage total is 56/44 LX/LC. I don’t think anyone other than you is actually sweating that 4% variance. If you are, feel free to research and document the exact numbers for us and document your source.

I made the decision for the LX over the LC because I like the headlights (projectors) and the nice interior. The AHC has been ripped out and replaced with an OME lift. Price was about the same with some LC's costing actually more in So Cal. I guess people like the Land Cruiser badge.

@97 AZ LC Every year, Toyota posts it's year end sales numbers on their www.pressroom.toyota.com website. See attached document. I've compiled this list starting way back in 2005. For years 98/99, I called Toyota myself and was given the sales figures. I've noticed a small discrepancy in figures with other sources but not usually over 50 units. In other words, it won't change the percentages much. Use the information as you please or don't use it at all.

LX470's......95,554
LC100's......87,584
Total..........183,138

Attachments

• TMNA_December_2017_Sales_Chart_FINAL.pdf
    509.8 KB · Views: 50
Another reason there may be more LX's is that the owners of luxury vehicles are more likely to upgrade to another luxury vehicle. Whereas the toyota land cruiser owners keep them for life.

The cool thing is both Lexus and Toyota have a website that lets you put in a VIN of any and get service history. Don't forget to take advantage of that.

That's an absurd response. Accuracy matters on a forum like this. Good forums care about accuracy. Someone posted data. Asking them for a source is a perfectly reasonable request and a critical element of having a quality accurate forum.

^^^^ What are your sources for that? :lol:

It's interesting how the numbers shifted in favor of the Lexus in 2001.

The Sequoia was introduced in 2000, giving Toyota a bigger and cheaper alternative to the Land Cruiser. Lexus doesn't have a Sequoia equivalent.

@97 AZ LC Every year, Toyota posts it's year end sales numbers on their www.pressroom.toyota.com website. See attached document. I've compiled this list starting way back in 2005. For years 98/99, I called Toyota myself and was given the sales figures. I've noticed a small discrepancy in figures with other sources but not usually over 50 units. In other words, it won't change the percentages much. Use the information as you please or don't use it at all.

LX470's......95,554
LC100's......87,584
Total..........183,138

Thanks. That's all I asked for in the first place - your source.

Don't bother asking me for anything else.

And those later year percentages seemed to have remained constant with almost two-thirds of the 200's sold were LX570's. The economy has been good and so luxury car sales have been good. Lease the LX570 from Toyota. Turn it in after 2 years and then let Toyota sell it 'again' as a certified pre-owned.

Last edited:
I worked as a new Lexus salesman from 1999-2002, when the LX was a brand new model. The full size luxury SUV market at that time was in its infancy. The 470 retailed for $62,865 if I remember correctly. At the time, they were the height of luxury. They all came equipped the same, and every one of the was sold before it hit the lot for full window sticker. Most of them were sold to cash buyers taking advantage of the "Hummer loophole". Guys would buy them in their company name, write off 100%, sell it to themself the next year and buy another one. We were located next to a Toyota dealer and they didn't sell nearly as many LC's. The LX is more than just a LC with woodgrain. Better leather, soundproofing, sound deadening glass, audio, real wood (walnut or birdseye maple), AHC. These may or may not be important to you. Some features like the AHC and touch screen Nav were the ultimate at the time but are dated now. Drive them both, you will see the difference and form an opinion right away. I just finally bought my first 100, after searching for months I found a one owner 2004 LX with 130K that never left the dry streets of Los Angeles for $13,000. It fits my needs perfectly, which may differ than yours. It will be a dd for my family, plenty of road trips and some light off road, but no hard off road use. My wife has also been driving ES sedans and RX's for 15 years, so the LX is very familiar for me. Like you, I also came from an F150 Platinum, and the LX has a similar luxurious feel with light handling and precise steering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom