LC to LX stock suspension swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys,

About a year ago I gave up on the wife’s stock ahc in her 05 LX and put in my stock 04 LC suspension (shocks springs and tbs). It had 99,000 miles on it and was kinda whipped when I pulled it out of the cruiser. Now it really can’t handle any weight, just 4 passengers and the 3rd row removed and we’re bouncing off the bump stops. So I want to refresh it (only 139,000 miles and I’m the original owner). So camelback has the 4 shocks for only $150, but the springs are $270 for both. Question 1, do I need to replace the springs? Question 2, do I need to replace the torsion bars? Question 3, is there anything else I should replace while I’m in there? I plan to keep it for at least another 2 years and probably 30,000 miles. It’s primarily a kid hauler around town but will be used for some trips probably. Thanks everyone.

Did you put theporsion bars back in the AHC position or did you add a new turns? When you remove the AHC you need to add a few turns to the torsion bars to level the truck back out.
I had a great link on this but lost it.
I find it hard to believe that the springs are bad in such a short amount of time but it can happen I suppose.
Typically bottoming out is because the springs are weak, shocks have nothing to do with how much weight you can carry. They are dampers that slow the spring bounce.

Did you put theporsion bars back in the AHC position or did you add a new turns? When you remove the AHC you need to add a few turns to the torsion bars to level the truck back out.
I had a great link on this but lost it.
I find it hard to believe that the springs are bad in such a short amount of time but it can happen I suppose.
Typically bottoming out is because the springs are weak, shocks have nothing to do with how much weight you can carry. They are dampers that slow the spring bounce.

I put in the lc tbs since the lx ones were much skinnier and of course not designed to carry as much weight. My mechanic did it, so I’m not sure. It’s at the correct height, how would I know how many turns I need?

Are you sure he put in the springs your wanted then?
I wish I still had that link.
If I remember correctly they added three "clicks" to the torsion bars.

Are you sure he put in the springs your wanted then?
I wish I still had that link.
If I remember correctly they added three "clicks" to the torsion bars.

Yes, they're the LC springs.

Maybe I'll add some turns and see what happens. I guess I could add simply a spacer to the rear springs, maybe that would help?

I refreshed my stock suspension with OE shocks and OME 865 springs this Summer and the original shocks and springs were tired with only 130K miles. I went with the OME's because of the price vs. factory. The OME's are stiffer than stock so you effectively get a 1.5" lift, but you will have to crank the T bars to get it to level out. The ride is fantastic, not harsh at all and without much corner lean at speed.

I have been debating on going with spacers on the rear or the OME 865 springs. It seems the spacers most common add about one inch and the springs add about one and a half inch. I am thinking considering work and very close to same cost for springs over spacers it would be better to go with new springs. :meh:

Yes, they're the LC springs.

Maybe I'll add some turns and see what happens. I guess I could add simply a spacer to the rear springs, maybe that would help?

From the way I understand your first post you are bottoming out the rear suspension, adding spacers will not stop that, it just makes the truck sit higher.
New shocks will slow the downward movement of the springs and possibly slow them enough so as not to bottom out.
Springs support weight not shocks.

Yo! Replace the rear coils to start. If you're bottoming out (just in the back I presume) it sounds like the rear coils are toast. Shocks may help slightly, but the coils/torsions are what really handle the weight. Shocks are more of a comfort/traction thing.

Ok thanks guys. Sounds like a few turns of the tbs in the front will be the first step. Once I can rule out them needing replacement I’ll go with stock shocks all around and new rear springs.

From the way I understand your first post you are bottoming out the rear suspension, adding spacers will not stop that, it just makes the truck sit higher.

Sounds like OP will end up with new springs, which is undoubtedly the right move. My spacers were nearly free, so... but I truly believe the reason I no longer bottom out in the rear is because of that extra 1"+ of height. I'm failing to understand how extra height would NOT help the bottoming out.

Sounds like OP will end up with new springs, which is undoubtedly the right move. My spacers were nearly free, so... but I truly believe the reason I no longer bottom out in the rear is because of that extra 1"+ of height. I'm failing to understand how extra height would NOT help the bottoming out.

The springs are still going to compress completely with spacers, the only difference is that the frame will not hit the bump stops, so you are still bottoming out only you don't feel/hear it.

The springs are still going to compress completely with spacers, the only difference is that the frame will not hit the bump stops, so you are still bottoming out only you don't feel/hear it.
Ah, yes, I completely agree. While it's better for my needs it didn't "fix" the problem; duct tape fix.

86D79C7E-85CF-4183-9E85-6E09E8E9968B.jpeg
B052A9E9-1F5F-4227-9308-D5A669F35C93.jpeg
Ok so this is what’s in the box (they look like the stock LX springs to me) and what’s on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom