Lc tip level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this shouldn't even be a question but I'm curious, and want to see if anyone knows-
What degree can a land cruiser go to before tipping (sideways not forward and back)? Stock and 2 inch lift?
Food for thought...

Specs say 45 degrees. With a lift it will be less.

Specs say 45 degrees. With a lift it will be less.
also loading.... RTT or gear on roof rack could make a significant difference.

I've been looking for someone who has a tilt table to test my rig when loaded. So far, I've checked with two companies here in Florida that build and test firetrucks but both declined use of their equipment. If anyone knows of one anywhere please let me know. I've turned around on a few trails with uncomfortable looking off camber sections but would really like to know my real limits. I have a camber gage mounted at tne top of the windshield and just keep pushing it a little bit at a time. Only been up to about 25 degs so far but with the rtt, awning, and loaded roof rack even that feels a little puckery.

There is no real world answer. You'll be going up or down as you're leaning. The four tires will not be on the same incline or lean - terrain is not uniform. Tire pressure, tire width, rim width, back spacing, spacers, spring rate (weight transfer), load....

Example: I was in a lifted CJ5 following a lifted CJ5 - same lift, both on 35s; similar cages, both had V8s... My jeep was on much wider 35s. My friend liked narrow tires. On a crazy sketchy trail (Tellico), we were leaning HARD driver. I saw his tires (maybe 12 psi) start to fold in - that let the jeep lean more - which made the tires fold even more. It was like watching a tree start to fall... slow... slow... then boom. He fell about 7' and landed like turtle on the cage. My CJ walked right across the same section. No deflection in the tires. No added lean.

Knowing (or thinking you know) the roll angle is worse than not - you'll see a number and think "Oh, I've got another 4 degrees... " then the downslope tire roles into a hole or the upslope tire crosses a root - and over you go.

When your side curtain airbags explode, that's when you get take another line that isn't so off cambered.

Your what?
1615155310611.gif

Full tank vs almost-empty tank plays a factor. Wheel offset (towards 0 and negative) can give more wheelbase coverage but very minimal. Also the 100s IFS cambers towards the positive direction when the vehicle is tilted, unlike the 80s f/r axle is rigid.

When your side curtain airbags explode, that's when you get take another line that isn't so off cambered.
Btw, there is a switch to turn off the curtain airbags. (RSCA off - Roll Sensing Curtain Airbags)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom