LC sucks at the drive-in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once a year I enjoy taking my wife to an old fashioned drive-in. Last year we went in the cruiser, we found a steep angle and we're able to recline the seats enough to sit in the 2nd row with our feet resting on the front seat backs.
It was awesome! Super relaxed and enjoying the mood. Got the giant pixelated screen to turn off and lowered the other lights. However, a bit after settling in the radio turned off and I had to monkey my way forward to reawaken the car which lit up the dash like a disco. This scenario repeated throughout the entire movie.

Is there any way to keep the radio on for an extended period of time?

Radios turning off is a problem I've experienced with my last three vehicles. I'm now of the opinion that it's easier to bring a portable radio and use that.

Also, you're doing drive-in wrong. ;) Turn the car around, back it in, open the hatch, fold the 2nd and 3rd row seats, put down a comfortable mattress, and enjoy it properly!

Radios turning off is a problem I've experienced with my last three vehicles. I'm now of the opinion that it's easier to bring a portable radio and use that.

Also, you're doing drive-in wrong. ;) Turn the car around, back it in, open the hatch, fold the 2nd and 3rd row seats, put down a comfortable mattress, and enjoy it properly!
Backing in with he hatch open is a game changer.

Much worse would be my wife’s Mini Cooper. Visibility for even average height men (I’m only 5’11) is awful - I can’t even see a traffic light if I’m first in line without bending down. Also it has the same 10 minute auto shut off for the audio

I wonder if Techsteam has an option to adjust the delay or turn it off…

Try turning off the truck while in gear?
Try leaving it in neutral?

I
Try turning off the truck while in gear?
Try leaving it in neutral?
I use this trick a lot when I am finishing a conversation on the handsfree, especially now with gas up high. Still cuts off after 20 mins.

I tired a trick where I left the truck in on state (no running) and hooked up an external lithium pack (50Ah) but I underestimated just how much was running ”in the background” and exceeded the 10A fuse on my pack. I upgraded the wire and fuse to a 50Amp Anderson connector - but haven’t had a chance to retry it Yet. I think the running loads are around 15-20A, but will measure it again when I get a chance.

I

I use this trick a lot when I am finishing a conversation on the handsfree, especially now with gas up high. Still cuts off after 20 mins.

I tired a trick where I left the truck in on state (no running) and hooked up an external lithium pack (50Ah) but I underestimated just how much was running ”in the background” and exceeded the 10A fuse on my pack. I upgraded the wire and fuse to a 50Amp Anderson connector - but haven’t had a chance to retry it Yet. I think the running loads are around 15-20A, but will measure it again when I get a chance.
That's a huge jump, might get western?

It’s not a jump pack - it’s a home made Jackery type battery box.

idea is to run the truck in “on mode” from the battery box and save the starting battery for the end of the movie to go home. The nominal voltage of the lifepo battery is 13.8, so essentially it’s alternator voltage, so the main battRey shouldn’t care.

I imagine the HVAC has be stay off, and turn the cluster illumination down.

lot of work for a movie… hey Toyota, how about “drive in mode” ??

I

If you turn off the engine (stay in acc mode) by putting gear into neutral hitting the power engine start/stop butting and leave the tranny in neutral with the parking brake engaged the power won't cut off. I've sat through many movies using this trick in my 2016. If you put it in park then power cuts off after about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom