LC running rough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all.
Looking for some advice, please.
My 98 Land Cruiser 4.7 suddenly started to run very roughly and is very noticeable, going up a hill.
It starts and idles OK.
As the spark plugs hadn’t been replaced for over 100,000 miles, my mechanic reckoned it could be them.
So, he replaced them but it is still the same. He now thinks it might be a bad coil pack. So, I have ordered one but it won’t be with me for a few days. My question is, will it be OK to drive short journeys in the meantime, or am I risking damaging something else? ( His computer diagnostic thing didn’t seem to be working properly ).
Cheers, guys.

Depends how rough. If its misfiring constantly(every cycle of the engine) it could damage the cats with unburnt fuel. A slight misfire (every 20-30 seconds) should be fine.

Many thanks for your response!
I don’t really know how to explain it.
It doesn’t backfire. It is generally, just not running smoothly, and has less power, going up a hill

It sounds like a coil based on your descriptions. I would try to get a code reader to make sure its a misfire code and not something more serious. If you are mechanically inclined you can swap coil packs to the cylinder with the misfire and see if the misfire changes cylinders. Only takes a 10mm socket and your toyota dealer should have coils in stock.

No, not mechanically minded, to that extent! And my nearest Toyota dealer is 40 miles away! When I get the coil pack, my mechanic intends to swap the coil pack, one at a time, hoping to find the faulty one. Should he have been able to know which cylinder was misfiring, without the code reader?

Your mechanic has to have an OBDII reader...they cost like $20. If not, go to a different shop and have them replace the coil for you. Your mechanic can swap all the coil packs but he will bill you for an extra $100 and probably end up breaking some vacuum lines.

Your mechanic has to have an OBDII reader...they cost like $20. If not, go to a different shop and have them replace the coil for you. Your mechanic can swap all the coil packs but he will bill you for an extra $100 and probably end up breaking some vacuum lines.
This... simple tool that anyone with minor automotive knowledge and small inclination to do their own work on their vehicle should have in their toolbox. Your mechanic should be 95% sure it is something before you spend money on parts otherwise they are just taking you for a ride. Take your money and go elsewhere, lack of proper/working tools and "thinking" it is one thing should be your first indicator.

YEP! Land cruiser all nice and smooth again. Was a coil pack.
In fairness to my mechanic, he said his diagnostic tester worked with all other vehicles, but not with my LC.
Anyway, I bought a Toyota coil pack and, here in the U.K., it cost £100!
I have seen cheaper ones, £30-£40. For future reference, can you recommend any other reliable brand or is it a case of ‘you get what you pay for’
Cheers!

Think that Denso is the OE manufacturer so that may allow you to find them slightly cheaper than going through Toyota. I know that NGK is utilized a lot by Toyota so you would probably be good with either Denso or NGK coil packs in the future. They are probably of comparable price too (within a few $ of one another).

Either Toyota 90080-19027 or Denso 673-1303 are OE replacements. Beware counterfeits...
Thinking RockAuto may be a good place to grab the Denso's???

Thanks guys, for all your help! I checked RockAuto site for them and they seem to deliver to U.K., no problem.
I cannot believe the difference in price! £100 here and £41.66 in US! And their delivery charge is not prohibitive.
Only thing is, I would be liable to pay tax duty. Don’t know how much that would be.
I have also seen NGK here on Ebay for £55. The seller seems to be genuine, with good feedback and he describes them as genuine NGK.
So, thanks again, guys. I will now investigate how much the duty would be for the Densos.
Cheers.

Thanks guys, for all your help! I checked RockAuto site for them and they seem to deliver to U.K., no problem.
I cannot believe the difference in price! £100 here and £41.66 in US! And their delivery charge is not prohibitive.
Only thing is, I would be liable to pay tax duty. Don’t know how much that would be.
I have also seen NGK here on Ebay for £55. The seller seems to be genuine, with good feedback and he describes them as genuine NGK.
So, thanks again, guys. I will now investigate how much the duty would be for the Densos.
Cheers.
Isn't the duty usually a percentage of what the shipper puts on the "worth" of the package? I believe that is what it is on our side of the pond and that is only if the port ends up having to look at the package for whatever reason..

Yeah, was checking, there. The price for one Denso increases from £41.66 to just over £70.00!
Taxes have to be paid on the goods AND shipping! VAT alone, is 20%. Still cheaper than here but big difference. Think I’ll move to USA!

No, no. I have found the problem and replaced the coil pack. I’m just thinking of getting spare ones and getting advice on what brand and where to buy. They’re very expensive to buy here, in U.K. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom