LC or LX470 Alternator replacement how to (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greetings from Vancouver Island, BC. I have just finished replacing alternator for an intermittent battery charge light. The B post (the single wire with the nut) on the old alternator looked melted. Could a corroded terminal on the main single wire cause this kind of overheating? Would a voltage comparison between the 140 amp alt fuse and the B terminal be useful? The battery charge light is still intermittent and does not seem affected by engine RPM. The light will randomly illuminate and the Volt meter will drop to around 13 volts. (needle width above halfway mark.) Then, for no apparent reason, it will extinguish volt meter will jump up and all will be well again!

Rats may also be an issue, but no damage to wiring has been discovered.

2000 LX470 with around 250K

Well, doing mine and just had the plug crumble…good thing I read a few threads that recommended buying the plug housing (#90980-11349) when buying the new alternator. Now I’ll just have to find a thread that shows how to put it back together. I took the pic below so at least I have the wiring order.

Last edited:
Here’s a pic. Not enjoying this - this is one job I wished I’d let someone else do at this point. The good news is that by crumbling it unplugged, kinda. This allowed me to turn the alternator enough to get the rest of the wiring off.

075EE43E-E39E-43FE-9482-B87B0C116E58.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s a pic. Not enjoying this - this is one job I wished I’d let someone else do at this point. The good news is that by crumbling it unplugged, kinda. This allowed me to turn the alternator enough to get the rest of the wiring off.

View attachment 3065412
You got this... buddy.. I did this like 2 weekends ago as well.. thought it would be hard.. but it was not too bad.. Although I changed my Alternator from 100amp to the 4pin 130 amp one.. so I also managed to depin the 3 pin and repin the 4pin connector on it.... You can do it..

Great thread! I’d like to share my current joys after the bottom alternator bolt snapped as I was removing it. I was able to get the alternator out by removing the radiator hose but drilling this bolt out will certainly be fun 🤩

Great thread! I’d like to share my current joys after the bottom alternator bolt snapped as I was removing it. I was able to get the alternator out by removing the radiator hose but drilling this bolt out will certainly be fun 🤩
How did it turn out? I am currently in the process of drilling my lower bolt out. Can’t wait to try and tap this thing…

How did it turn out? I am currently in the process of drilling my lower bolt out. Can’t wait to try and tap this thing…
I was not about too pull the radiator when I did it so I had to chuck my drill bit to make it as small as possible. I also had to cut the longer ones short to fit them but by god I got it drilled out. I wound up just putting a long nut and bolt and didnt bother trying to tap it. Due too the tight space drilling a very straight hole was not happening. That being said a few thousand miles later and its still good!
Good luck

Thank you so Much for all the info. We performed the R&R today and it went fairly well. The bolt that’s in the alternator on the pointless bracket, was a true PITA. But removal without radiator was not an issue. Very little wiggling and logic and it came right out through bottom. Again! Thank you !!!

This is still the go-to for alternator replacement. Mine bit the dust at about 303k on my ‘01 LX. Went with a remanned carquest - didn’t want to shell out for dealership, NAPA isn’t even taking orders for the remanned denso, and there was only one unit within 50 miles of me at autozone and advance. Not sure if it’s a struggle to get a 100 amp out there, but be ready.

Like others, no need to remove the rad or any hoses. Slow and steady. I ended up doing a lot of work from the top. It’s a good time to replace the serpentine belt when you’re doing it.

Use a coat hanger to pull that PS pump forward as far as you can. It’s not a fun job, and I ran into some of the same issues as others (the PITA bracket, my 3-pin tab broke). BUT this is easily doable if you have a few wrenches, this thread, and some patience.

Pretty sure this was the original alt. It was toast.

IMG_2527.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom