LC New Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to the MUDness and ONSC. This group is quite the bunch of enablers, you can plan but this bunch will help you spend your money, quickly. Ask a question and be prepared for several answers, all of which will be spot on!. Post plenty of photos, they tend to not believe you if there isn't a photo or two included. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions about your trucks, they like to look them over and offer their ___________________! Seriously, ONSC is a terrific family oriented club with some of the finest people you will ever want to meet. As I described them in other places, they are uncommon people with a common interest and I can't think of one I wouldn't invite to my house.

Consider the Meet & Greet in March, that is a great way to meet new people. The Relic Run is a lot of fun and you will see trucks from all over. Welcome to the club and we look forward to seeing your truck and your family in the future.

Just got this dropped off at the house this evening. Looks like I’m committed to that V8 swap.
View attachment 2197025

Not pictured are the Edelbrock valve covers, dual plane manifold, and various other bits and pieces.
Not exactly when I planned to get the motor, but it popped up locally and had all the major parts I wanted in one package plus the guy delivered it to my house.

If any of you have done a V8 swap and are at the Relic Run, be prepared....I’m gonna have a lot of questions!

I suppose the rag in the cam hole is to keep the dirt out? :lol:

Those roller-tip rockers are good for about 75 extra horses .... okay, closer to 1.5. :)

Give some idea of what you're wishing for out of the motor and I'm glad to offer a few tips (i.e. blow your entire budget). I will not be at the Relic Run but if you're ever in the greensboro area I am happy for you to look at/drive my 40.

Rice

Those roller-tip rockers are good for about 75 extra horses .... okay, closer to 1.5. :)

Give some idea of what you're wishing for out of the motor and I'm glad to offer a few tips (i.e. blow your entire budget). I will not be at the Relic Run but if you're ever in the greensboro area I am happy for you to look at/drive my 40.

Rice

That is a 40 you need to see! May ruin you for anything less.

Rice

Yeah, there is currently no cam in the engine...partly why I got a good deal. Not a problem, because my intent is to cam it for lower end torque. Ultimately, I want something suited for good to decent drivability while doing some light towing. I don't really plan on 4-wheeling it hard core. More like pulling a trailer and doing something like Del's (@SFROMAN) Mojave Road trip. Never been a "car guy" before, but I've absorbed a ton about the 2F and how all the LC systems work over the last 6-7 months. Not familiar with the specifics of the SBC yet, but trying to get there.

Yeah, there is currently no cam in the engine...partly why I got a good deal. Not a problem, because my intent is to cam it for lower end torque. Ultimately, I want something suited for good to decent drivability while doing some light towing. I don't really plan on 4-wheeling it hard core. More like pulling a trailer and doing something like Del's (@SFROMAN) Mojave Road trip. Never been a "car guy" before, but I've absorbed a ton about the 2F and how all the LC systems work over the last 6-7 months. Not familiar with the specifics of the SBC yet, but trying to get there.

Understood.

That eliminates a cam I have sitting on the shelf that I could donate to the cause. It's new, in the box, and is a bit milder than the cam I am running now, however, still would be moving your torque curve up the RPM band a little higher than you probably wish to go.

It costs a bit more but moving up to a roller cam will do a lot for longevity. Today's flat tappet lifters just don't have the lifespan as in the old days.

Jason (@jfz80) and I both have some SBC parts sitting around that may be useful, so when shopping be sure to ask.

Jason (@jfz80) and I both have some SBC parts sitting around that may be useful, so when shopping be sure to ask.

That's awesome. I'll keep it in mind as I start getting deeper. I'm all about upgrading, but at some point my wife will get suspicious and start asking questions about costs!

carb? vs fuel injection? We were on a 90 degree obstacle in the military area across from Uwharrie with a carb'ed bronco and it kept shutting off because of the angle. We had to winch him up. The 80 with fuel injection had no issues. Can carbs handle 90 degree angles? The 80 also had a 6 inch lift and 37s, details. ;<)

Last edited:
@uzj100 not sure yet. Leaning towards carb for budget reasons, but am considering the "buy once, cry once" aspect of just doing an efi conversion.

Been in this LC mod world since 1995 and highly recommend the "buy once, cry once" for your bank account. ;<)

Was asking about the carb because I am clueless on carbs.

Been in this LC mod world since 1995 and highly recommend the "buy once, cry once" for your bank account. ;<)

Was asking about the carb because I am clueless on carbs.

I've learned the "buy once, cry once" lesson from competition shooting and see that it easy applies to LCs too. There is part of me that does want a carb just because that's what it would have had in '85. I'd never even seen a working carb until I got my '87 FJ60 but ended up rebuilding it a couple months later. I won't profess to be any kind of expert, but it wasn't that bad once I asked a few questions and got a rudimentary understanding of how it worked. I like the "simplicity" of the mechanical fuel delivery/regulation over adding computerized components to the truck. I've worked overseas in a lot of places where I've seen some pretty innovative fixes to keep these type vehicles running in all conditions. It was only possible because they lacked any computer components.

On the flip-side, I do like the idea of no hassle cold starts and the self tuning capabilities to optimize performance/efficiency.

You get the added bonus that your float doesn't go shut when you're off camber on a hill.

FJ Noob made it clear in another thread of his that he is going with a SBC, carbed partially because (if memory serves) his deceased father in law. I may be wrong on the relation but a close friend. Out of respect for those wishes I have refrained from pushing the LS agenda at him.

I still think he is nuts :) I do respect his feelings and his right to be nuts :) I wont try to sway him but hopefully one of you guys can at least convince him to throw a Sniper on that SBC. He already built a beautiful 60 so I have no doubt whatever direction he goes, it'll be right.

i do love the sound of a Q-jet on a 350 though :)

Like Death sucking on a Lifesaver :rofl:

@NCFJ You guys also have to consider that I have 19 years experience of knowing what I can and can't get away with my wife and how to "work the system". I never said I wouldn't do an LS swap, just not in THIS cruiser. You never have just one pair of shoes for all activities, so why no the same with LCs?!? There's still diesels and we haven't even started talking about FJ40s!

You are correct about one reason being a connection to my FIL, but fortunately he is still with us. He knows and get excited about the old SBCs. It's something he, myself, and my oldest can do together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom