LC Mechanic Recommendations in the Central Ohio Area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 that needs a new head gasket and after many disappointing phone calls, I don't know where to turn for help in my immediate metropolitan area (Columbus). I've spoken with several shops (including dealerships) and most of them seem like they want to help, but none of them want to tackle a job this size.

Before I get the "do it yourself" response, just know that I'm capable and I'd love to, but I am a driveway mechanic with just that, a driveway. I'd prefer to not crack open the engine without a roof minimally.

With that said, if anyone has a trusted shop in the central Ohio area (within 200 miles of Columbus) I'd be super appreciative. Thanks!

Also, if this is not the appropriate place to post a message of this type, let me know and I'll correct it.

I have a 97 that needs a new head gasket and after many disappointing phone calls, I don't know where to turn for help in my immediate metropolitan area (Columbus). I've spoken with several shops (including dealerships) and most of them seem like they want to help, but none of them want to tackle a job this size.

Before I get the "do it yourself" response, just know that I'm capable and I'd love to, but I am a driveway mechanic with just that, a driveway. I'd prefer to not crack open the engine without a roof minimally.

With that said, if anyone has a trusted shop in the central Ohio area (within 200 miles of Columbus) I'd be super appreciative. Thanks!

Also, if this is not the appropriate place to post a message of this type, let me know and I'll correct it.

People speak highly of it. Also, try the Ohio Clubhouse:

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but the dealership looks to be the best deal. One of the smaller shops quoted ~5500 using primarily Napa/Autozone parts, which I just don't think I can bring myself to do for that price. The dealership quoted ~2800. The other shop included a couple other parts that could be considered as PM while you're in there, but it still just seems like it's not the right move.

If you're in the Columbus, Ohio area and need anything beyond your brakes done or oil changed, good luck 😄

If I lived in Ohio and needed work done on a LandCruiser I know exactly who I would go to.

Jim C aka @FJ40Jim Lancaster, Oh.

I’m not 100% certain he works on 80’s but on 40’s and 60’s there is no one better…no one.

If I lived in Ohio and needed work done on a LandCruiser I know exactly who I would go to.

Jim C aka @FJ40Jim Lancaster, Oh.

I’m not 100% certain he works on 80’s but on 40’s and 60’s there is no one better…no one.
Yeah, he was the first person I called. He is booked out 6 months and isn’t currently taking on new work.
He was a super nice guy about it and I’m stoked he’s busy; it just sucks for me lol

Understandable, but I agree with you…way too bad.

How many miles on your truck? Any oil leaks? I did this job last year on my 95 in my garage and I pulled the engine. Much easier to do and also re seal the engine. My brother has an auto repair shop on Wilson Rd and if I was back there I'd probably take a look at it. Took me a month to do mine and I'm retired!

How many miles on your truck? Any oil leaks? I did this job last year on my 95 in my garage and I pulled the engine. Much easier to do and also re seal the engine. My brother has an auto repair shop on Wilson Rd and if I was back there I'd probably take a look at it. Took me a month to do mine and I'm retired!
It has 189k miles. It has at least one small-ish leak, although it’s just enough to rust-proof the undercarriage. It leaves no puddles and I don’t need to add any between changes, but if I’m in there I’d definitely consider resealing it.

I’d love to have a garage, but I’m a carport (with terribly uneven asphalt) mechanic for now. Does your brothers shop have experience with Cruisers?

No. He does not have any experience with Cruisers. I was back there last month for a few weeks but wont be back until next year. Sounds like the dealership might be the way to go. I'd make sure they have the cylinder head machined and new valve stem seals installed. Also make sure they have the correct FSM for your truck. I wouldnt let the mechanic just wing it. Expect and budget for the unforseens. Fuel filter would be easy to do while the head is off. Also all of the water hoses, PHH and vacuum hoses should all be replaced. A lot of the hoses will probably have to be cut off to be removed.

Yeah, he was the first person I called. He is booked out 6 months and isn’t currently taking on new work.
He was a super nice guy about it and I’m stoked he’s busy; it just sucks for me lol
when did you talk to jimc, jim c, fj40jim? he has had my parts (carb, dizzy, manifold) since April 6th, with one response from him in may. radio silence since, I gave him 6 weeks after his may response then emailed once a month. not trying to be a pest. I've tried to call lately then emailed again no answer or response. Iam starting to worry.

when did you talk to jimc, jim c, fj40jim? he has had my parts (carb, dizzy, manifold) since April 6th, with one response from him in may. radio silence since, I gave him 6 weeks after his may response then emailed once a month. not trying to be a pest. I've tried to call lately then emailed again no answer or response. Iam starting to worry.
I spoke with him on the phone around early July, I believe. I actually emailed him before calling and I'm pretty sure he never saw it. He seemed a bit stressed about the number of new work requests that he's been receiving lately. That's just me speculating though.

As a customer, I'm like you and don't want to be a pest. Most people I've encountered in this community are very understanding concerning the difficulties small businesses are facing right now. With that said, good communication can solve most issues. If I were you, I'd probably continue to try the phone every few days until I reached someone and I wouldn't feel too bad about it. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom