LC fails NC inspection... quick question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2001 Land Cruiser that is my baby. This winter I noticed that my exhaust pipe after the muffler was broken. No check engine lights, and I liked the increased sound, so I left it alone.

I went to get my truck inspected today, and my buddy said he could not pass based on the hole in the exhaust.

Part of me wants go with a new magna flow muffler, but the other side of me says to just remove the resonator and say " what break?"

So the question is, would my truck pass the inspection with the resonator removed? or I could weld a pipe and send the exhaust in front of the rear wheel. Thanks!

Agree with johnny but could see a differing opinion depending on if removed at back of muffler or at front of resonator. The latter i see no problem passing, the former i could see the techs reasoning.

Where do you live? If you are in Raleigh I might have another option for you.

Last edited:
Regardless of inspection results you may find what you end up with after removing the resonator is an awful sound. Look into the 100 threads first to find out what you can. The 80's (uhg) tend to whistle without a resonator.

As a North Carolina certified vehicle inspector, As long as the muffler is there, it can't fail for that alone.

Really?

19A NCAC 03D .0541 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROLS

(a) An exhaust emission shall not be approved if the vehicle is a 1968 year model or newer and any of the visible emission control devices placed thereon by the manufacturer are missing, disconnected, made inoperative or have been altered without approval of the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources.
(b) If the unleaded gas restrictor on a vehicle manufactured after model year 1967 has been altered or removed a new or reconditioned catalytic converter and unleaded gas restrictor must be replaced before the vehicle passes inspection.

(c) An exhaust system shall not be approved if:

1 The vehicle has no muffler.
2 The muffler, exhaust or tail pipes have leaking joints.
3 The exhaust or tail pipes have holes, leaking seams or leaking patches on muffler. The tail pipe end is pinched.
4 The exhaust system is equipped with muffler cut-out or muffler by-pass.
5 Any part of the system passes through the passenger compartment.

Authority G.S. 20-2; 20-39; 20-183.3(9);

Regardless of inspection results you may find what you end up with after removing the resonator is an awful sound. Look into the 100 threads first to find out what you can. The 80's (uhg) tend to whistle without a resonator.

Shhh.
Now they know it isn't a supercharger. Thanks...

Really?

19A NCAC 03D .0541 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROLS

(a) An exhaust emission shall not be approved if the vehicle is a 1968 year model or newer and any of the visible emission control devices placed thereon by the manufacturer are missing, disconnected, made inoperative or have been altered without approval of the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources.
(b) If the unleaded gas restrictor on a vehicle manufactured after model year 1967 has been altered or removed a new or reconditioned catalytic converter and unleaded gas restrictor must be replaced before the vehicle passes inspection.

(c) An exhaust system shall not be approved if:

1 The vehicle has no muffler.
2 The muffler, exhaust or tail pipes have leaking joints.
3 The exhaust or tail pipes have holes, leaking seams or leaking patches on muffler. The tail pipe end is pinched.
4 The exhaust system is equipped with muffler cut-out or muffler by-pass.
5 Any part of the system passes through the passenger compartment.

Authority G.S. 20-2; 20-39; 20-183.3(9);
Yea I guess I had that coming. I should rephrase as long as the muffler is there and "visually" in good working condition you can't fail for that alone. NC doesn't use a sniffer so theres no way to know if the exhaust system is working properly other than a visual inspection of the entire system and scanning the computer on OBD2 vehicles. When in doubt though, the inspector will fail and have you schedule an an appt with License and Theft and let them make the ruling.

Not having a resonator will not fail the car. If visually the exhaust looks like it needs work, its at the inspectors decision. You could remove the resonator and weld a turn down on the muffler and you shouldn't have any problem passing if this is your only issue with your exhaust system.

@tacoduck post up a picture so we can see how bad it is.

Funny how you can fail for a hole in a tail pipe but not bad balls joints. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
so the break is right after the muffler... No CEL's, and truck sounds FINE. actually, slightly louder, but no drone. taking it to menike this morning to see what they say. also bought a magna flow muffler on amazon for 100 bucks... might go ahead and swap it and weld up a new pipe to the resonator.

If it sounds meaner and a little bit more aggressive could you try and get a sound clip?

I'm looking for a decent reason to replace my muffler for a little bit of throat.

Ive got the maggotflow muffler that the previous owner put on my 80 if anyone wants it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom