LC 2000 failed transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1990 RHD diesel LC80 and a 2000 LC100 from the US and read this forum often for tips and such. Haven't posted often as I don't have much to say and am not very techy.

That said thought I would add my voice of warning to those of you with a 2000 LC100. Like others in this forum, my transmission just failed. I live in the wilds of BC and was on a visit to Calgary when it happened.

First sign of trouble was when the car began stalling at stop lights as if it was a manual with no clutch. I had the car towed to Pro Active in Calgary.

They did a load of inspections (7 hours billed time) before deciding that the torque converter had broken, which in turn had destroyed the transmission.

They couldn't locate a remanufactured Toyota transmission but found a used one locally that they said they could get hold of for C$3,600. Total bill with oil change, lube and a few small items was to come to C$6,000.

I was uneasy about this. First of all I didn't want to put in just another flawed 2000 transmission (apparently Toyota changed them in Aug 2000 for a better unit) and secondly the extra cost seemed high.

So I started calling around. Toyota in Calgary located a reman Toyota transmission in the US for C$3,300. I spoke to Pro Active again and told them they could do the job providing they used the Toyota reman I had located. Also asked why the total was so high. They said they had already spent seven hours on the vehicle and quoted the extra lube and so on.

New quote is now down to C$4700 (incl $3,300 for part) without the oil change. Morals of the story:

1. If you have a 2000 LC be aware that the earlier transmission is sometimes prone to failure. Mine failed at 115,000 miles.

2. If you are a Land Cruiser driver in Alberta, Pro Active is recommended by many, but pin them down on the details. I would not have been happy 6,000 dollars poorer with another dodgy transmission down there.

3. Toyota is sometimes cheaper than the private shops or has better access to parts. Always worth checking. (Interestingly I was quote C$4,200 by Toyota in Vancouver for the same part that was C$3,300 in Calgary. No idea why.)

So shaky start for Pro Active but I'll post on the final result. In the meantime thanks everyone for all the great mechanical tips.

good luck with the tranny issue. tranny went out on my 02 for the PO right about the same mileage too. I think he saw the bill and traded it in that day. too bad your shop isn't up to discounting the diagnostic since you are going to have them finish the job.

anyone know if the 5spd automatic can be retrofitted into a 99-02 in the event of their 4spd going out? might as well mod it if it's broken.

I toyed with the idea of putting a A750 in a 98-02, but I then realized you would need to get a ecu and all the harnesses for an 03. Plus the shift points would be all wrong unless you re-geared the 3rd members (or get a speedo correction box). Those are the initial problems i could see, beyond those, I have no idea what else could be a challenge or really expensive.

I thought the bad batch of transmissions was in the later part of 2000, like august to november, not prior to that. Can anyone know:confused:

Details on the transmission problems are in the TSB Thread on the FAQ.

You might be right about the bad months. I just know there was a change in Aug 2000 and assumed the new one was better. But it might be the other way round. I'm also assuming that the reman. Toyota transmission will not have the same faults. Hope I'm not wrong on that.

Is there a Vin # where they made the swap to the better tranny?

Yes - See the TSB Thread in the FAQ. [ I was wrong about this.]

The reman will be up to the new standards. My understanding is a bad supplier of parts rather than a design error.

Last edited:
Checked the FAQ TSB thread and saw the transfer cass buzz sound TSB, but nothing related to transmissions ( as far as i can tell)...

Does someone mind posting the Vin# reference for 2000 trans failures?

Checked the FAQ TSB thread and saw the transfer cass buzz sound TSB, but nothing related to transmissions ( as far as i can tell)...

Does someone mind posting the Vin# reference for 2000 trans failures?

Looks like you're right. I think I was confusing this issue with the HDJ100 transmission issues.

Recalls usually mean a dangerous hazard like a potential vehicle fire, self-destructing tires or airbags that deploy for no reason. If one can make a compelling argument a transmission failure can be dangerous then they could contact the NHTSA.

So I seem to have stumbled on all these failed 2000 tranny threads. Of course, since I have a 2000 my transmission will fail on my way home from work today haha. So for peace of mind is there a Vin # cut off or what?

I wouldn't bother with VIN numbers. This problem affects '01s also, though perhaps fewer failures. If it's going to go, it's going to go. Mine failed with exactly the same symptoms as listed in post #1. However, the local dealer identified the problem in far fewer than 7 hours. I can't imagine how they could justify spending 7 hours to tell you there are chunks of metal in your tranny and the torque converter has exploded. That's ridiculous. You should offer to pay them for 1 hour, maybe 2.

I've never heard of a shop charging a diagnostic fee for something where they get to do a major component R&R. Especially with a transmission. Usually transmission shops have two pricing plans - $39.99 Fluid change/check up and $4000 transmission R&R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom