Laws on toting fuel outside the vehicle... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the double-post, but I thought it might get more responses here...

Just wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding carrying fuel outside the vehicle. I realize that approved containers are mandatory, but is there a limit to quantity, or regulations on where they are carried? And does the type of fuel matter? Gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, or WVO?

as much as you can safely carry in approved containers...

I think there is a DOT law about needing placards and hazmat once you exceed 55 gallons. Not including the vehicles fuel tank.

How much are you going to carry?
Gas weighs about 7.5 lbs per gal if I remember. Too much could get heavy and cause handling issues if it is mounted up high.

What about a second tank or a larger one instead of the spare?:hmm:

Time to build a really big "under" tank. My Ford has a 38 Gallon diesel tank and a 60 Gallon WVO tank... On my last camping trip, I also had a 1000L (~265G) tote in the box of the truck. No-one bothered me at all. (not to say it was legal in any way!!)

The sign in the parking space says "Reserved Parking" "Alternative Fuel Vehicles Only"

I just had to park there!!! :grinpimp:
Alt_Fuel.jpg

I spent some time making calls today to the EPA, Texas Dept. of Transportation, and Texas Dept of Public Safety.

A few corrections on previous posts... 1) I was told that gasoline weighs 8.3 lbs per gallon, and 2) That you're not inside HAZMAT jurisdiction unless you're carrying 1000 lbs of fuel (not including the internal tank).

I also learned that, in Texas at least, there are no regulations on non-commercial drivers. I had her repeat this to me. I asked her if a container had to be DoT certified, and she said no! I told her that I had seen some fuel containers for marine use that were not DoT certified, but American Yacht Club certified, and she said that was fine. I really can't believe any of that, so I'll stick to DoT certified containers.

this is purely a state issue... no federal standards for non-commercial operations.

Mark...

FWIW, most Hazmat classes I've had (local, state & national) state that anything over 50 gal is HazMat.

Yes, we perform 'Hazmat' operations on leaking semi's....

Yes in Texas, which is still part of free America, you can get away with almost anything.
Just keep in mind the personal hazards associated with all of that fuel if you crash.
Have you thought about a fuel cell from Jeg's or Summit?

Interesting that it's a state issue... I guess people are just expected to know the regulations of every state in front of them.

Regarding the hazards, I'm looking far into the future, after the diesel swap this summer, at carrying vegetable oil, not gasoline. Just trying to figure out how much I could carry with me, and where on the Cruiser I can expect to be able to do that. I had a buddy that literally put two 55-gallon drums of WVO in his truck and drove from Baton Rouge to Canada and back a couple of years ago and did most of the trip on grease. I'm not looking to carry 110 gallons, but if I could fit 40 extra gallons in the cargo area and outside the vehicle I'd be pretty pleased. If that means four 5-gallon cans on the outside and four inside, that might work.

I'm expecting to put second tank for the grease in the undercarriage, where the spare is now. Still not certain about that... I may opt for the cargo area in the end. But carrying fuel cans is the issue for the moment.

Trying to avoid carrying any fuel on the roof rack, just to keep her from getting too top-heavy. I've got some ideas for a jerry-can rack I can fabricate that will line the back door with 3 or 4 of them. Still have a lot of thinking to do.

Oh yeah, and my road trip buddy is a great dane. This may explain my desire to try to pile stuff on the outside of my vehicle. There's not too much room left on the inside! :crybaby:

Last edited:
I'm in Texas.... so no issues.

For "mogas" filled aircraft we have some 200 gallon fuel trailers. One fellow made his look like a dog
kennel, Irony is his Rotty rides shotgun. :)

The Greater LA Area (California) has LAFD restrictions on ANY CONTAINERS -- they have be approved.
Feedback was from a pilot in that area with a 13B Mazda powered airplane. 100LL doesn't work for
him, so he has to buy fuel from a gas station and transport it to a small airport.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom