AltFuel Laws on toting fuel ouside the vehicle... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding carrying fuel outside the vehicle, and if it matters whether or not it's gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, or veggie oil. I know gasoline and diesel must be carried in approved containers, but I'm in the dark about allowed quantities or differences when using biodiesel and WVO.

I'll be building a roof rack soon, and am planning on carrying extra WVO up there, so I need to understand this matter before I begin.

biodiesel is a fuel and must be carried in the same way as diesel i know that for sure
WVO is grocery oil... you can carry it in the same bottles millions of people do everyday when they buy it at the store and put it in the grocery bag in the back seat

as for carrying it outside the vehicle (atleast in alabama i know) its illegal to have a rear mounted fuel can on the bumper on the street... i ONLY know that b/c i asked specifically about that idk about the side (though i would assume thats also a no no) idk about on a roofrack... idk why it would be... but the gov can have a stick up its butt....

that being said beadlock is also illegal on the street... but i know plenty of guys who run it and have never had a problem....

Just wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding carrying fuel outside the vehicle
The laws vary in different regions. You will have to ask your local municipal, county and state motor vehicle people. They are the ones who know the laws regarding carrying fuel outside the vehicle.

Just nice to know...

I just crossed the borders (in USA and back Canada) on my recent roadtrip across the country. I ended up being searched going into the States (nothing to do with the wvo). I had close to 50G on a hitch basket plus a fair amount inside the truck. They did ask me what it was but it was a non-issue and I got to keep on rolling. Entering Canada was quite easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom