Laurel Lake info... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning a trip to Mammoth and try to hit several spots at the end of April. For those of you that have gone to Laurel Lake, will my teardrop trailer able to make the sharp turn/bend that I'm keeping hearing about? Should I just avoid it completely and take it off my list of where to camp? I also understand that Snow may still be on the grounds still.

Also, could use recommendations for secluded areas with good scenery, nearby river or lake. The more isolation the better I guess. It will be 3-5 trucks that will be going and our first time out there. Thanks!

I haven’t been on that trail in 5+ years, but I live 45 min from the start. With this years snowpack I would doubt that you could get to the top in April.

That sharp turn isn’t really all that bad, be careful, do a bunch of pivots and you will likely get around...but why? Not much camping up at the top, the trail is not that difficult but I still wouldn’t want to pull a trailer up there.

Agree with all that was posted by John. Just went through the area and there is a near record snow pack. Most high elevation areas are likely going to have a lot of snow well into summer.

The road to Laurel Lakes has steep areas and off camber turns. If you go up, watch for ice. It's warming up during the day, but still in the teens at night. Thaw then freeze = Slippery.

Forecast is snow in Mammoth 5 out of the next 8 days, with lows down to 12. I think winter is going to last, and the Mammoth Ski resort announced they will stay open until at least July 4.

I'll be heading up to Gardnerville next week, and will post what I see in the area.

This picture was taken 2 weeks ago in the Mammoth area at about 8,000' elevation. Laurel Lakes is near 10,000', higher than the top of the mountains in the picture!
IMG_1249.JPG

@doug720 @John McVicker Thanks for the info. I figured there will still be snow in that area due to all the rain we have received this year.

Still talking to my group about an alternative option if Laurel Lake doesn't work. @doug720 Photos would be nice if you get the opportunity to take some.

Should I just avoid Mammoth till July? Any other areas nearby that is good for camping and trails that is away from civilization?

April is pretty early to be going anywhere on the Eastern side of the Sierra. If you wait until July most high elevation trails will be open...but not all.

Here’s one you might consider, about 1 hour North of Mammoth on 395: Kavanaugh Ridge...close to Virginia Lakes. If the snow cooperates you might be able to get to the top...isolated and unbelievable views of the Hoover Wilderness. Might even be able to get your trailer to the top, but if not, there is plenty good places to park it & camp below the top which I ‘think’ is at 11k elevation.

You could use that area as a base camp and explore to your hearts content...all within 1hr from there.

Picture - Top of Conway Summit at the Virginia Lakes turn off in late February! It may be a while...

Option - While different scenery, the White Mountains are likely passable, as are the Glass Mountains East of Mammoth. They get less snow and more sunshine. Cerro Gordo may be mostly passable soon.

IMG_1248.JPG

@doug720 @John McVicker Thanks for the info. I figured there will still be snow in that area due to all the rain we have received this year.

Still talking to my group about an alternative option if Laurel Lake doesn't work. @doug720 Photos would be nice if you get the opportunity to take some.

Should I just avoid Mammoth till July? Any other areas nearby that is good for camping and trails that is away from civilization?
What do you want to do and where are you driving from? I grew up in Tahoe and the E Sierra was my playground for 25 years.

I also agree That it looks like the snow pack will be around for a very long time this spring and not sure I would want to drag a camper up there anyway.

@coleAK We'll be coming up from So Cal. If Mammoth doesn't happen then we'll stay local here. Probably over at Borrego Springs, Fuller Ridge, or Black Mountain Trail.

We're still weighing our options at the moment.

on my bucket list. missed out on going there when I was stationed in Cali. someday I'll return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom