Latest New New Noob Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everybody, I just found this place. Thanks for having me! Im as noob as they get. Just traded in my 2020 Tundra SR5 4x4 lease on a 97 FZJ80 CE. Bought it from the local Toyota dealer, apparently it was one of the dealer's son's fleet of LCs that he didnt want anymore. Rig seems very clean and most everything is functional. Dealer is fixing the power seat motors and a sunroof leak, and i get to fix the oil leak myself. Im a little bummed after spending a couple of hours reading here and figuring out that it does not have the lockers, but it is still a classic BA ride and something i can take pride in tinkering with a modding. Ive never done much serious off-roading, but love having a vehicle that could if i want to so i may look into doing the locker add mods sometime in the future once i know more about what i am doing with this thing.

Its still at dealer getting its seats fixed so the only ones i have are the ones i sent to the wife (who thinks im crazy) when i was looking at it on the lot. I love how this thing looks and it seems to run like a top with 177k miles on it. My first orders of business will be to upgrade thr stereo and fix the oil leaks. After that, who knows?!? It seems like the skys the limit with these things. After seeing my pics, do you guys have any suggestions for me? Thanks again for allowing me to join the club and have a great day!
VideoCapture_20230209-235119.jpg
VideoCapture_20230209-235127.jpg
20230206_132817.jpg
VideoCapture_20230209-235101.jpg
VideoCapture_20230209-235044.jpg

Wow! It’s really gorgeous! Well done and welcome to mud.
I think you’re on track with fixing the oil leaks and upgrading the stereo. There are a lot of threads on here that discuss baselining the vehicle so you know what’s been done and to help familiarize yourself with your new rig. You can also get yourself a service manual if you plan on working on it yourself.
I would drive it just as it is for as long as you can stand it. And keep reading here for more than you could ever need in Land Cruiser knowledge. This forum has a way of making you spend all of your money on cool Land Cruiser stuff.
As far as lockers go, don’t beat yourself up over not having them. These trucks are great with or without them. As you build up your truck, you’ll figure out if you need lockers or not.
Also you should look up your local TLCA (Toyota Land Cruiser Association) club and get connected with some local people.

Good luck, and keep the pictures and updates coming.

Wow! It’s really gorgeous! Well done and welcome to mud.
I think you’re on track with fixing the oil leaks and upgrading the stereo. There are a lot of threads on here that discuss baselining the vehicle so you know what’s been done and to help familiarize yourself with your new rig. You can also get yourself a service manual if you plan on working on it yourself.
I would drive it just as it is for as long as you can stand it. And keep reading here for more than you could ever need in Land Cruiser knowledge. This forum has a way of making you spend all of your money on cool Land Cruiser stuff.
As far as lockers go, don’t beat yourself up over not having them. These trucks are great with or without them. As you build up your truck, you’ll figure out if you need lockers or not.
Also you should look up your local TLCA (Toyota Land Cruiser Association) club and get connected with some local people.

Good luck, and keep the pictures and updates coming.

Thanks! I will keep them coming! Im not a huge mod type guy, but making sure its baselined, running well and getting the stereo modernized are definitely my top priorities. I already found my local group last night and am waiting for approval to join their fb page. Just wish i was going to have it in the driveway before middle next week. It will be okay though, as i mentioned the wife thinks im nuts so i need to knock out some home projects this weekend to balance out the time / money ill be spending in the garage. However, i also want to get this thing all straghtened out as quick as possible cause before i know it its gonna be boat tinkering season as well. Too many projects ahhh! Lmao lol 😆

Welcome :flipoff2: and salute. Yes, baseline and good tunes. Full stop at that point if you can. I say if you can because if you read MUD then you will start to see things wrong with the truck that just have to be fixed. Things like perfectly good seats need recovered or door seals that just have to be replaced because they seal properly. Just wait, your time will come. Ha Ha!!

@Kevcave enjoy the journey and search this site for all the fun things you can do with this rig. Don’t forget about the bottle openers installed near each door too.

EDIT: Lockers? You don’t need no stinking lockers. Drive it as-is until you find an issue. Your wallet will be happier.

Welcome :flipoff2: and salute. Yes, baseline and good tunes. Full stop at that point if you can. I say if you can because if you read MUD then you will start to see things wrong with the truck that just have to be fixed. Things like perfectly good seats need recovered or door seals that just have to be replaced because they seal properly. Just wait, your time will come. Ha Ha!!

@Kevcave enjoy the journey and search this site for all the fun things you can do with this rig. Don’t forget about the bottle openers installed near each door too.

EDIT: Lockers? You don’t need no stinking lockers. Drive it as-is until you find an issue. Your wallet will be happier.
Lol thanks Comet! I totally get the fixing stuff to fix stuff. Last year was the year of 2000 sea ray 180 restoration. Club sea ray was bad enough and i dont drive a boat every day. Lmao

Very nice Cruiser! A little too clean for me ;) Enjoy that thing and welcome

Welcome to the site...like others have said it will put ideas in your head. Baseline and enjoy until something needs replacing or updating. As for the Wife, mine rolls her eyes every time I say I'm going to go look at a LC. If it doesn't have lane assist, parking sensors, and the most important feature "cup holders for her Starbucks" she isn't having it.
A low key bonus is if you have kids teach them to drive with it. It's slow, a little big by todays standards and has it quirks but I feel if they can learn to drive in an old LC then the foundation is there for whatever they may end up driving. I personally would love it if my daughter drove mine everyday but the gas would kill her:) The few times she has taken it to school she get guys coming up and asking her a lot of questions and/or asking if she would sell it.

Enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom