Latest call to my dealer -- valve clear/rear bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, per C-Dan's post, I called my dealer to see how much they'll charge for a routine valve-clearance adjust and a rear bearing replace-repack --

They said they don't do valve-clearance adjusts unless there's a problem (he even said, "If it ain't broke...")

and for the rear bearings, he said it's a sealed unit --

-- now, even I know his last statement was false --

-- any ideas on prices before I look at doing this myself??

eric

Eric,

Our service department gets 4.0 hours on the valve adjust and 2.5 hours on REAR wheel bearings and 8.0 hours for the front axle knuckle job. Our labor rate is currently $78.00 per hour. Required parts are, of course, additional.

Dan.

Thanks for this, C-Dan --

-- does ANYONE get their valves adjusted at $340 labor, or do they do it themselves??

In Stamford (where I am), the Toy. dealer acts like they don't even know how to do them --

-- eric

-H-
I read the FSM for the valve adjustment ..... :eek:
when got to the part about the shims.. ???
maybe it just sounds more complicated than it really is, but if done incorrectly, I'm sure it would be a lot more than $340 !!
:-\

It's not too bad 'til you get to the part where you have to remove the camshafts to change the two rearmost shims on #6 cylinder ::) I "ran the rack" in mine at 90some K miles. They were all within spec, didn't touch a shim.

Does anyone know how much the valve adjusting tool is through toyota? Is there an aftermarket source?

Thanks

Cary

The lifter press would run about $110.00 and the lifter stopper is about $20.00.

The tool price list I have is a bit old so these are "best guesses" but probably pretty close.

OTC may offer a generic version, or perhaps Snap-on.

So Dan, I'm sure you don't agree with my service "advisor"'s suggestion of, "If you're not aware of a problem, don't check the clearance", right??

:'( :'( :'(

eric

Unless you watch them (which they won't allow), how are you sure they'll even do it??

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Eric,

The book calls out valve clearance inspections at 60,000 mile intervals. I put mine off til 90k+. I guess you could think of it this way: A tight valve or two ignored could burn, meaning removal of the head for a valve job. I gotta think that would be a touch more than 300 bucks. It may be that they just don't like the looks they get when they hit a guy with a number like that for a "maintainence" item.

For what it's worth, the job takes a lot of time. I spent most of a day on mine. 4 hours is pretty close for shop time.

Christo,

How many hours do you quote for the valve adjust?

I know Robbie's hairs are Exactly the right diameter for perfect clearance :D , so deduct for that advantage. ::)

Dan.

yep.the old "you dont have to have that done " quote
my dealer parts guy called the shop while i was buying some tune up parts and was told at first "those dont need adjusted" but after i "insisted" that there was a 60000 mile frequency, they said "we will check while you wait" and the answer came back "around 500.00"

i also agree(Eric),its hard to trust people that dont know(that should be doing it regularly)

makes me want to vacation in Golden Co. and have Christo and co. do it(i know they are straight up!!!)

doug

If done during a tune-up, we get 2 hrs plus parts. Valve cover gasket & spark plug seals. That is for a check, not adjusting. That is quoted on a per job basis depending on how many needs adjusting.

Also, they can not do it while you wait, since the engine has to be cold when you do it.

Christo,
Our time does not include replacing trunion bearings but does include packing them and they do pull the knuckles off. Also it does not include birf swapping which, IIRC, you normally do.

I gotta think that for a guy's Cruiser to be granted an "audience" with Robbie is worth AT LEAST a couple extra hours. :D

Just talked to my dealer, and they said it's 6 hours labor on the valve adjust and 4 hours on the rear bearings -- almost double the labor times you mentioned above --

-- C-Dan, isn't there standard times used by dealerships??

WTF!

:mad:

eric

PS - I loved it when the phone-answering-guy said the valve adjust is "a lot of labor -- we've got to do both cylinder banks" -- now THAT makes me feel comfortable... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom