Later model FJ60 Power Sterring Box adjustment screw frozen. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for recommendations on how to free the adjustment flat head screw on top. Removed the nut and the screw will not turn at all. It's like driving Mr. Toads buggy currently.

Last edited:
At the very least, soak the threads in Kroil or PB Blaster overnight.
After a good soak, get a long screwdriver and insert it in the adjusting screw slot and tap down on it with a hammer (lightly) a bunch of times to micro break the cruft that’s binding the threads. Soak it again with penetrant and try the the tapping trick the next day - eventually it should break free.

Don’t overly crank on the adjustment screw trying to unscrew it. If you distort the screw slot - it’s game over

I can testify to this ^... amen, brother.

Another option I just thought of is take the adjustment nut to the hardware store with you and find another one with the same thread pitch.
Then back at the truck, screw both nuts on the adjustment screw but not bottomed out on the gearbox. Then try to unscrew the adjustment screw using only the nuts as leverage.

I don’t know if there’s room to do that or if the adjustment screw is long enough to accept two nuts / but just a thought

Another option I just thought of is take the adjustment nut to the hardware store with you and find another one with the same thread pitch.
Then back at the truck, screw both nuts on the adjustment screw but not bottomed out on the gearbox. Then try to unscrew the adjustment screw using only the nuts as leverage.

I don’t know if there’s room to do that or if the adjustment screw is long enough to accept two nuts / but just a thought
That’s a long shot. If the adjustment is fully out (which isn’t likely) you might be able to make that work. I have about 3-4 threads exposed as a starting point. Once I get to drive around a bit I’ll makw adjuatments, but adding an other nut may or may not work depending on where the screw is living.

Try oil like stated above with the hammer tap trick.
If that's a no go, try applying heat directly to the screw using a heavy duty soldering gun.
I've used my Weller D650 in the past on small hard to get too bolts and screw's, where a torch is just not a viable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom